What are the best repair manuals

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All
Just picked up an old 1977 75 hp Evinrude to work on over the winter.
I want to ask opinions on what is a good service/repair manual for this motor Evinrude/johnson , clymer ,seloc ?
Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The OEM Factory Service Manuals are the best. ( OMC). The next choice would be Seloc then Clymer. E-bay or Ken Cook in Milwaukee WI. for the OMC.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Opinions are what you asked for and what you will get. Since you asked, my opinion is it depends on your experience and knowledge of how stuff works. For the most part, the factory ones are written for the guy in the dealer's service shop, and assumes he knows which end of the screwdriver fits the slot. Seloc does a better job of explaining the elementary stuff, but is notorious for errors, and covers too many models to do a good job on ALL of them.

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks
opinions are exactly what I do want , no sense chewin the same dirt someone else did.
add all them opinions up just right and I'll have a better idea what book to spend my money on and which will help me most

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
LOL I thought that would be what I would be hearing that it is old , but its 7 years newer than the Starcraft SS its going on.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
According to aomci.org rules, 1977 is a "Classic".

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
I went through the manuals I have for sale, thought I could help but missing that one.....I have the 1976 and the 1978, but missing the 1977 version. Always the way.

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
I was going to ask if a 76 would be pretty much the same or should i get the 77 manual the only reason i ask is i have access to a 1976 75hp manual
but i also know its the little things in life that will kill ya

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
Also any of you evinrude fellas can answer me this is there any performance , maintenance , what ever issue in having a large gear case 75hp as compared to a small gear case model.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
i like the factory service manuals. You get all your torque values, assembly steps, which bolts need threadlock, which gaskets need sealant, etc. and you can see what tools are required for the job. Not having the right tool can lead to hours of frustration.

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks restornator Thats the kind of response i like , sounds like you may have wasted a couple hours of your life in frustration
I'm looking for a factory manual on Ebay and amazon right now , just trying to save a few dollars more money to throw at the motor

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Just a note on all this: I believe the factory manuals still had the obsolete ignition testing procedures in 1977. But you can get DVA test procedures on-line from CDI

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I was going to ask if a 76 would be pretty much the same or should i get the 77 manual the only reason i ask is i have access to a 1976 75hp manual
but i also know its the little things in life that will kill ya

I would say with 90% certainty that a year or 2 either side of the specific year will not make any differeance. The smaller 2 cylinder families, 18-25hp, 30-35hp, the larger 40-60hp and the 3 cylinder 60-75hp went many years w/o any real changes. The key is to know or find which years the changes were made.

Such as the 35hp models the 1974 thru 1979 were all basically the same then as I recall they changed the design of the cooling system in 1980 or 1981 and then changed again in 1984. While the powerhead went unchanged the Lower units will not interchange. Then with the 40-60hp family the lower is unchanged throughout while at a year I again can't recall they changed the powerhead and increased the displacement. The 3 cylinder models did the same thing.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
This vintage of motor is not something I have worked on in a few years, but am fairly certain there were some major changes in the '76 '77 '78 range. Maybe that was just the 55hp though, I would have to check the manuals to verify.