Help with my 1957 Evinrude Sportwin 10hp

OGMurph

Cadet
So i have come across a Evinrude Sportwin 10hp from 1957 as the model number is 10014 on the side ive read that to be correct. The engine starts on the first pull every time.

I was told by my local boat shop to check the impeller no matter what the last guy says.
Well the last guy didnt say anything about it. So i am just looking to do some preventative maintenance. Is this impeller job something i can do?

Is it as easy as just pulling the 4 bolts off of the bottom or does the powerhead also need to be removed ive read about some johnsons that had to do this from this era like 56-58? I havent seen anything directly on the web about this specific motor.. i have ordered the manual from Amazon.. and im waiting for that.. any help in the interim would be great!

I have watched 15 videos of different impeller swaps.. and everything is a little different. I tried getting the best info i could but i seem to have failed searching here and on the rest of the web.

If someone with a little more expertise in the subject could help me. I would love a point in the right direction.

Thanks

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is it 4 small bolts and one bigger one ?--------------Powerhead does not need to be removed.----Look for the plate on the side of the exhaust housing.--------Remove completely one of the screws in the shift rod connecter found inside there..

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
remove the oval cover plate on the shifter side about half way down the leg....behind it you will see the shift rod coupler, remove the lower bolt completely from the coupler. then the four bolts that hold the lu on. no need to remove the powerhead. it may take some gentle persuation to get the lu to drop, so be patient with it.

nwcove

Admiral
Is it 4 small bolts and one bigger one ?--------------Powerhead does not need to be removed.----Look for the plate on the side of the exhaust housing.--------Remove completely one of the screws in the shift rod connecter found inside there..

edit....was looking at the wrong motor....your 10014 has the more rugged 5 bolt lu .

Last edited:

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
When you reassemble be VERY careful reinstalling the the shift rod coupler bolt. Thread it in very gently! That coupler will strip out if you breath on it. fyi

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make sure on assembly that the notch in the shift rod is lined up with the hole in the connecter.---Bolt will not strip that way.-----

nwcove

Admiral
the pics are to small for me to see !! edit: found a magnifying glass....if you have circled a bolt that goes down from the top and is larger (9/16?) than the other 4. (7/16 ), then yes, you have the 5 bolt lu.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Correct the one circled in red must be removed.----10 HP motors up the 57 models used the same gearcase housing as the 18 HP models.----Then in 1958 they adapted the 5.5 / 7.5 hp gearcase to be used with the 10 HP models ---------Up to 57 used 5 bolts and then in 58 and later just 4 bolts.

nwcove

Admiral
pics can be deceiving, but did that bolt from the shift rod coupler come out in tact? if it did, some penetrating fluid and GENTLE prying and patience will get the job done.

OGMurph

Cadet
where would i be prying? down at the gap ive created between the LU? or up at the coupler.. it doesnt seem to be holding to much tension up at the coupler.. in my novice eyes

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ir's likely the drive shaft stuck in the power head.Gentle prying ,repeat gentle,and lots of wiggling will usually free it.When you put it back together be sure to grease the splines.Avoid getting grease on the top of the shaft or it won't go in.

Last edited:

OGMurph

Cadet
I am not removing the splines from the power head? I am pulling then a part at the coupler?

nwcove

Admiral
^^...this what happens when two threads are started on one topic.....good advice gets lost . jmo

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
SO,
the current guess is that the drive shaft is stuck. Splines are on top of the shaft at the powerhead. When the bottom end is removed, You will see a long driveshaft sticking all the way up the powerhead.
COntinued wiggeling and gental persuasive techniques should get the shaft dislodged.
Further, I would suggest that you never "give it all your might". You are far stronger than cast aluminum.

The pic of the shift linkage looks like its free - and to confirm, I would stare into the access hole while my right hand shifts the motor neutral, forward, reverse.
There should be clear evidence that the rods are disconnected. NWcove's concerns are valid regarding this.

Keep it up, you are almost there.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Two shafts. The Driveshaft has the splines (way up where it inserts into the crankshaft). The shifter-shaft has the coupler. Your coupler is dis-connected so the only thing left that can be holding things up is the splines. Except of course for the water tube, but that usually comes apart with ease.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
open the shift linkage cover
turn the engine upside down
and dribble some loose nut, release-all or some similar product along the driveshaft with a long necked squirt can

the release agent may ....reach the splines (wait a day or two and reapply) and it should eventually help you pull it out by tapping gently

Last edited: