100 hp ESL71A no spark at all

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
My neighbor asked for my help i did a cross reference check on his ignition system the electrical drwg shows it has a sensor in the rotor,cross reference checked with a 1969 to 1970 ...85hp it shows a set of 2 breaker points &; it is also listed that these points are in the 1971 100 hp ESL the flywheel has not been removed yet to confirm this [ points] , what i have in mind is to rewire the motor to the 85hp system & do away with the clipper

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
100ESL71 has breaker points. I know better than to try to discourage your plans. If anybody can pull it off, you can.

durban

Thanks for your encouragement F_R i have read several of your posts on these old distributor ignitions you seem to be the person that knows them inside out , i have no spark on all plugs the ignition switch shows continuity in all 3 positions off , on , &; start position between earth &; the kill wire it should only show continuity in the off position .i will bypass the ignition switch for now &; check for spark .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And why do you say it should only show continuity in the off position ????------Are you fully aware of how this electronic system operates ???

boobie

Supreme Mariner
When you say "clipper" what are you talking about and why do you want to remove it ?? I know what the clipper is and does but was wondering if we're on the same page.

Last edited:

durban

ive tested the amplifier with a Neon globe between the blue wire & earth disconnected coil end the globe some time lights up when the motor turns over & sometimes doesn't i suspect the amplifier playing up