1978 johnson 115 hp tilt n trim

chevy4x4

Cadet
Hello all I'm new to the board and also new boat owner I have read just about every post about tilt and trim problems on this board and have not found one like my problem so here i am asking for help ..

ok it will trim up but will not go down I can hear the motor running like it does when it goes up it just don't move,could it be air in system?

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
chevy4x4 you might loosen the manual let down valve to let it down some. but it probably needs fluid first.:joyous:

chevy4x4

Cadet
yeh I tried the manual valve it comes down but stops at the trim tabs and will not manually go down any further I will check the fluid and see whats up there oh is the fill hole the little screw about mid way on motor?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The fill screw is opposite the motor on the resevior about mid way up. Use Dextron II.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Be sure to have it in the full tilt up position when filling it.

chevy4x4

Cadet
Thanks all the help it's fixed now it was low on fluid but still didn't help when I filled it up ,, So I just unbolted the sob took the whole unit out tore it all apart cleaned it out put it back together slapped it back on the boat works great now took about 4 hrs of my time .. heading out to test drive today . again thanks for the all the input..