Help with Johnson 20 throttle limiter / lock

Dancobian

Cadet
Question about throttle lock / limiter. Should the throttle be limited when in "Forward"? The throttle limit only seems to take effect when I have the motor in "Forward" and "Neutral". In reverse it moves out of the way...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is this something that showed up suddenly ?----Are you shifting with motor running or turning the prop with your feet ??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Question about throttle lock / limiter. Should the throttle be limited when in "Forward"? The throttle limit only seems to take effect when I have the motor in "Forward" and "Neutral". In reverse it moves out of the way...

Lets start with some missing information. What year 20 Johnson are we talking about anyway? But a generic answer is it should limit throttle in neutral and reverse. NOT forward. If it did, how could you go fast?

Dancobian

Cadet
Apologies- I should have been more specific in my original post. I bought a 1971 (20RL71S) for a 1959 12 foot alumacraft I got off craigslist. Dropped the outboard in the boat and it ran absolutely perfectly- and very, very fast. I cleaned up and painted the outboard (based on the great information that is available on this website). I did not take apart or disassemble any part of the motor to do the painting.

As I was looking to verify that all the parts moved freely after the paint job I noticed what I posted above. I am fairly mechanically inclined and I fully agree with the comment that "it should limit throttle in neutral and reverse. NOT forward. If it did, how could you go fast?" My thought was that the part moves when at WOT (centrifugal force?)...

Please see the photos I have uploaded.

Very much looking forward to your feedback. Lock A Arrow.jpg Lock B Arrow.jpg Lock C Arrow.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, I have studied your pictures at length and I cannot come up with any logical reason for what you are describing. In fact, it should be mechanically impossible. When in forward gear the roller should be in the bottom end of the shifter lock and it should be rocked away from the armature plate at the top.

There are only two things I can imagine:

1. You aren't getting it all the way into forward gear. Are you spinning the propeller as you shift so the gears can mesh? You should be.

2. Hate to even suggest this, since you are "mechanically inclined", but any chance you are mistakenly getting forward and reverse mixed up? Nah, I wouldn't think so.

I suspect #1 is the answer. Let us know what you find.

BTW, you say it is fast. That makes me think everything is normal. It wouldn't go fast if it was limited to the lockout position.

Dancobian

Cadet
F_R,

You are a genius! Thank you for the help. I spun the prop and the motor shifted fully into gear and the throttle limiter/lock opened fully and limited the throttle only in neutral and reverse. This explains why it worked so well the first time in the water but did not move fully while static on the stand. Lesson learned on my part- Thanks again for the help!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No genius here. You are not the first one to do that, not by a long shot.

Dancobian

Cadet
Racerone,

You are absolutely right- I misunderstood the comment "turning with your feet". I'll pay more attention next time.

Thank you.

-Dan

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Outboards are so easy to trouble shoot and repair.------Especially older motors !