Double Battery Switch (Perko) J150EXETG

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
While we are on some electrical topics what are the thoughts about turning the battery switch from "1" to "2" or "Both" while the engine is running. I have new power packs and regulator/rectifier on mine and would like to keep them that way. In the process of buying the boat I noticed the tach wasn't working and the batteries with engine running were 11.64 volts...I mentioned to the PO that the rectifier/regulator was gone, so he had a new one put in and at idle each battery alone was charging at 13.74 and on "Both" they were charging at 13.14...anyway, so just asking. And what can we expect to blow if the switch is turned to "Off" while the engine is running? Thanks, Bill

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you have "make before break" battery switches you can switch them while running. It's a big no-no to shut them off while the motor is running as it could blow the rectifier.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, thank you very much for that, hopefully I'll remember to switch it where I want before starting...and I don't want any blown rectifiers.....Bill

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Okay, thank you very much for that, hopefully I'll remember to switch it where I want before starting...and I don't want any blown rectifiers.....Bill
If the engine is running DO NOT switch to OFF.

You can change from battery 1 to battery 2 ,or vice versa, while the engine is running by turning the switch through the BOTH position.

If the engine is not running it does not matter if you change via the BOTH position or the OFF position. (Personally would go via OFF to avoid paralleling the batteries)

I suggest you:
  • Select the battery you normally use for cranking the engine.
  • Start the engine.
  • Leave that battery selected until it has recharged.
  • Then select the other battery to run you auxillary systems by moving the switch through the BOTH position.
  • Leave that battery selected until you next need to restart the engine or you switch OFF at the end of the day.
NEVER switch to OFF while the engine is running.. You are likely to blow the diodes in your rectifier if you do!