Omc type C , Premium oil ,replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking for some oil for my old Johnson , but it is hard to find .<br />Are the other manufacturers that does make compatible oil ?<br />"Type b" compatible oil is easy to find <br /><br />Found this one at Pennzoil<br /> PENNZOIL MARINE® OUTBOARD GEAR LUBE may be used in all outboard gear cases where an SAE 80W-90 API<br />GL-4 gear lubricant or older Type C is specified. #4947 <br /><br />Are there others ?<br /><br />After searching this forum I found many advices but ....<br />The Omc "Type C" are now replaced by OMC Premium Blend .<br />It is a 80w oil<br />Can be replaced by ATF oil ?? (have heard this one from an local mecanic too )<br /><br />Got the lower unit separated into pieces ,got new seals + gaskets + o-rings + new hub/spring (forward) + new electric wire ,just wanted the correct oil before reassembling .

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Omc type C , Premium oil ,replacements

PENNZOIL MARINE® OUTBOARD GEAR LUBE may be used in all outboard gear cases where an SAE 80W-90 API<br />GL-4 gear lubricant or older Type C is specified. #4947 <br /><br />That will work!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Use the Bombardier (OMC) Premium Blend gearcase oil in your electric shift available at any J/E dealer. It is NOT an 80W or 90W oil, it is a lot thinner and has additives for the needs of the electric shift springs and hubs type of shifting. Too thick oil or with the wrong additives will cause the spring clutch to drag or slip, ruining both the spring and the hub which cost a bundle.

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Having problems finding "Bombardier (OMC) Premium Blend" thats why asking about compatible oil .<br />I have just replaced the spring and the hub ( no wisible wear on the old one ) ,thats one of the reasons I wanted the correct oil :cool: <br /><br />The gear was slipping ,when rebuilding I found :<br />Wrong oil + some water<br />Bad electric wire ( what to do when lowering the lower unit ? cut wire , some duck tape and it is good as new .) :mad: <br /><br />Got the parts ,all brand new , just missing the oil ,will take some phone calls next year trying to locate some .

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If I remember correctly, I have seen Lubrimatic gear oil that said for electric shift OMC outboards. You might find that at a marine store or a large X-mart type of store.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

As an old electric shift boater myself (sold it last year) I was always careful to use the correct oil.<br /><br />If you would like to me to send you some, let me know. It is readily available at any Canadian Tire store in Canada under their own brand name.<br /><br />Just post and we can make our own arrangements.<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

First ,thanks for all advices .<br />There is no problems getting this oil outside Norway , was looking for other brands that were compatible ,it would be a lot easier to get the locale shops to order if I could give them a brand and correct type ,something like Castrol ,Shell ,Pennzoil ( can get them to order this one , I believe ) <br /><br />Don´t think the postage services like people shipping oil in the mail :) , don´t think the local customs will be to happy either .<br />But thanks for the offer .

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Finaly ,got the oil .<br />1 US gal omc premium blend 657.00 kr = $92.86 (including shipping)<br /><br />One problem solved ,looks like I am running out of problems before summer :cool:

dclgolf

Recruit

I buy Type C at West Marine. $11 per quart. I always use it in the lower unit but would like a sustitute for the upper unit. The manual calls for type C but I frequently have to change the upper oil because I get water in it. Have tried changing everything but still get water. Any thoughts on an oil replacement for the upper unit?

Andy in NY

Commander

I buy Type C at West Marine. $11 per quart. I always use it in the lower unit but would like a sustitute for the upper unit. The manual calls for type C but I frequently have to change the upper oil because I get water in it. Have tried changing everything but still get water. Any thoughts on an oil replacement for the upper unit?

upper unit???

btw this is a 7 year old thread. its best to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.