• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Omc type C , Premium oil ,replacements

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omc type C , Premium oil ,replacements

I am looking for some oil for my old Johnson , but it is hard to find .Are the other manufacturers that does make compatible oil ?"Type b" compatible oil is easy to find Found this one at Pennzoil PENNZOIL MARINEĀ® OUTBOARD GEAR LUBE may be used in all outboard gear cases where an SAE 80W-90 APIGL-4 gear lubricant or older Type C is specified. #4947 Are there others ?After searching this forum I found many advices but ....The Omc "Type C" are now replaced by OMC Premium Blend .It is a 80w oilCan be replaced by ATF oil ?? (have heard this one from an local mecanic too )Got the lower unit separated into pieces ,got new seals + gaskets + o-rings + new hub/spring (forward) + new electric wire ,just wanted the correct oil before reassembling .
    My engines :
    Mercury TII, next project
    Johnson V4m-10s 90 hp 1964,from the prosess.
    Mercury L6 ,Rebuilding a Tower

Re: Omc type C , Premium oil ,replacements

PENNZOIL MARINEĀ® OUTBOARD GEAR LUBE may be used in all outboard gear cases where an SAE 80W-90 APIGL-4 gear lubricant or older Type C is specified. #4947 That will work!
    Rick

"Boating is Life...All the rest is just Details"

2007 Bentley 200 Cruise
    2007 Merc. 90 4 stroke

Comment

Use the Bombardier (OMC) Premium Blend gearcase oil in your electric shift available at any J/E dealer. It is NOT an 80W or 90W oil, it is a lot thinner and has additives for the needs of the electric shift springs and hubs type of shifting. Too thick oil or with the wrong additives will cause the spring clutch to drag or slip, ruining both the spring and the hub which cost a bundle.

Comment

Having problems finding "Bombardier (OMC) Premium Blend" thats why asking about compatible oil .I have just replaced the spring and the hub ( no wisible wear on the old one ) ,thats one of the reasons I wanted the correct oil The gear was slipping ,when rebuilding I found :Wrong oil + some waterBad electric wire ( what to do when lowering the lower unit ? cut wire , some duck tape and it is good as new .) Got the parts ,all brand new , just missing the oil ,will take some phone calls next year trying to locate some .
        My engines :

Comment

If I remember correctly, I have seen Lubrimatic gear oil that said for electric shift OMC outboards. You might find that at a marine store or a large X-mart type of store.

Comment

Here is the website for Lubrimatic Type C oil for those who will not or cannot use the Bombardier Premium Blend oil for electric shift outboards and stern drives. http://www.plews-edelmann.com/brochu...cation_id=2628

Comment

As an old electric shift boater myself (sold it last year) I was always careful to use the correct oil.If you would like to me to send you some, let me know. It is readily available at any Canadian Tire store in Canada under their own brand name.Just post and we can make our own arrangements.Tx.Joe

Comment

First ,thanks for all advices .There is no problems getting this oil outside Norway , was looking for other brands that were compatible ,it would be a lot easier to get the locale shops to order if I could give them a brand and correct type ,something like Castrol ,Shell ,Pennzoil ( can get them to order this one , I believe ) DonĀ“t think the postage services like people shipping oil in the mail :-) , donĀ“t think the local customs will be to happy either .But thanks for the offer .
                My engines :

Comment

Finaly ,got the oil .1 US gal omc premium blend 657.00 kr = $92.86 (including shipping)One problem solved ,looks like I am running out of problems before summer
                  My engines :

Comment

I buy Type C at West Marine. $11 per quart. I always use it in the lower unit but would like a sustitute for the upper unit. The manual calls for type C but I frequently have to change the upper oil because I get water in it. Have tried changing everything but still get water. Any thoughts on an oil replacement for the upper unit?

Comment

Originally posted by dclgolf View Post
                      I buy Type C at West Marine. $11 per quart. I always use it in the lower unit but would like a sustitute for the upper unit. The manual calls for type C but I frequently have to change the upper oil because I get water in it. Have tried changing everything but still get water. Any thoughts on an oil replacement for the upper unit?
                      upper unit???

btw this is a 7 year old thread. its best to start a new thread.
                      1970 Starcraft Jupiter closed bow to open bow modification
                      1970 Starcraft Jupiter V 16' restore
                      Starcraft pic thread
                      It's not "Just an old Starcraft". It's a vintage piece of American Marine History

Comment

Working...
                      X