compression test

carlos silva

Cadet
hi, i did a compression test on my 1981 johnson 35hp elec start, 70 psi on both pistons is that ok, battery was a bit flat. thanks

64osby

Admiral
I would retest with a strong battery.

Sounds a little low unless this a motor with compression "let off" ( ?proper term) useful for pull starting.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No such thing as a compression release ( let off ) on a 1981 model.------That was common on the late 1950's models.

carlos silva

Cadet
Hi,With the plugs out, the motor turns freely, as soon as I put compression tester on one piston, motor turns very slow, with pull-start motor also turns slow. That is why I'm getting a low 70psi. Can I use a 70 or 80 amp. battery to get a faster revolution or can there be something else wrong? Thank you all for your support.
Carlos.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A hefty pull with the recoil will get you proper test results.-----Perhaps there is a problem with the starter motor itself.-----------------What is the history of this motor ?-----Have you owned it for a while ?----Just got this motor , in which case you may have bought someone else's problems.

nwcove

Admiral
does it roll over well with all the plugs in? with either the e-start or the pull cord? does it make any knocking sounds with the comp tester installed? i remember a post from awhile back where a person spent a a lot of time trying to figure out why his/her motor would spin free with no plugs, spin a bit hard with plugs in, and knock or lock up with a compression tester installed. it turned out to be that the wrong ( slightly to long ) adapter was being used on the comp tester. ..just a thought!