225 HP Johnson Ocean Pro

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for being a pain with all these questions but, were all 1995 225 Johnson Ocean Pros VRO? I have been reading a lot about the pros and cons of this sytem. Many say they disconnect the VRO and simply add oil to the gas tank at a 50:1 ratio. If I decided to disconnect or bypass the system, how would I go about doing that?<br />Stalker

Sand Bass

Seaman
Re: 225 HP Johnson Ocean Pro

Nightstalker, the vro disconnect is very easy. Just do a search here and you will find the proceedure. I have a 1994 Evinrude 225 and I prefer to premix my fuel. I have had no problems. Great motor.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the tip. I've looked throught the site but have not been able to find one that explains how to disconnect my VRO. Can anyone point me to the sit?<br />Stalker

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If you are going to premix, be sure to decarbonize the motor every 50 hours or so. Test the engine temp on both cylinder heads to make sure the thermostats are warming up the motor enough, 140 degrees, to cut down on smoke and carbon buildup.<br /><br />Most engine failures are from stuck rings from running too cool or too rich on oil (and oil quality). The VRO is a good system if it has been maintained periodically. Most horror stories are "urban legends" perpetuated by those "unfamiliar" with its operation.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to keep the VRO in operation. I hear that the routine maintainence on the VRO system is not hard to do. I have also read that I should use only Johnson oil. Can anyone explain how I should maintain my VRO system so that it remains in good working order and the benefits of using Johnson oil? Also, where would I get an owner's manual as well as a shop manual for my engine (from a dealer)?<br />Stalker

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

nightstalker <br /><br />Maintainence includes checking ALL the oil lines that run from the tank to the vro and to the carbs, for any cracking or loose connections. Remove the oil tank each spring and clean it out and add fresh oil to make sure there is no moisture in the existing oil. They say that Johnson oil is superior to other oils such as Pennsoil, Walmart Brand, Ect. (That has yet to be determined.) Always a good idea to mark a line on the oil tank even with the oil level and make sure the VRO is working properly by monitering the oil usage the first tank of gas. Be sure to pre-mix the first tank at 50:1 until your sure the VRO is doing it's thing. If you have a large tank, you may just want to hook up a 6 Gallon portable with pre-mix and run that and check the VRO to be sure the oil level is falling. You can get a generic owners manual at the bottom left of this page, but I prefer a Factory MAnual located at the link below:<br /><br /> web page

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Here are my maintenance suggestions from a previous post.<br /><br />The only maintenance you have to do is to make sure the hose is pliable rubber(not stiff plastic) and in good shape and that the proper clamps are secure. Once a season, use a turkey baster to take a sample from the bottom of the oil tank to be sure there was no water intrusion. This is very important if the tank is exposed to spray or if mounted in the bilge where water accumulates. It's basically the same visual maintenance that you would give your fuel system.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all of your help. I'll take your advice on maintaining the VRO system.<br />Stalker

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I posted a question concerning whether or not my VRO is connected. I found out that my Johnson is a 1994. The gas and oil lines go into a connector but only the gas line to the engine is attached to the opposite side. The nipple for what I think is for the oil has a rubber cap over it with a hole in it. When I squeeze the oil bulb, oil shoots out of this nipple. Doesn't look right to me. Can anyone tell me if she's hooked up?<br />Stalker

willxuout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The oil line will run directly to the oi side of the VRO pump. The fuel line will run to the fuel side of the vro pump. There the fuel and oil are mixed at the proper ratio and are pumped to the carbs through a single line. When that single line reaches the carbs there will be six little fuel hoses that feed each of the six carbs. The connector you mentioned...are you talking about the VRO pump? When in doubt, mix the fuel in the fuel tank at 50:1 and mark the oil tank. run the boat for awhile and check to see if you have used any oil from the oil tank. I personally premix my 96 225hp Evinrude Ocean Pro. I have a 125 gal tank and put about 50 gal of fuel in every trip so this is not a problem. If the VRO pump on your motor is the original I would replace it with the newest pump model IMMEDIATELY. If this is new boat to you, you can assume that the previous owner didn't maintain anything he said he did. Especially if you are going to not premix and use the VRO as intended. It would cost you about $4000 to rebuild that motor. The pump is alot cheaper. It's no big deal to replace the whole pump. Make sure carbs are clean and that all plugs look the same. Light brown and oily after about ten hours.

willxuout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, by the way, the 225 Ocean Pro's are very good motors. My rebuild runs like a brand new motor. Keep that thing serviced, the carbs clean, use OMC Oil with Carbon Guard ($12.50 gal) and that motor will produce alot of hours. I'd expect to get about 500-600 hours easy on the rebuild.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Wilxuout:<br />This is new to me. The VRO pump is under the engine shroud? What could be the purpose of the fitting into which the oil and gas hoses feed and only the gas hose feeds out of on the other side? I bought the boat from a used boat dealer who knew very little about it, that's why I want to be certain of the oil hookup before I give it a try.<br />Silver

willxuout2

Seaman

Are you talking about where the oil and fuel hoses attach to the underside of the engine cowling? If so, then if two lines come in to the cowling fitting and only one comes out and runs to the VRO pump...the oil line is NOT connected. Has the oil side of the VRO been plugged or have a rubber cap on it? Dump some fuel from the fuel line to see if the previous owner was premixing. You'll be able to see the oil in the fuel. If you have digital camera you should take a couple of pic's and post them here. It would help alot. I'll be around all day, so I'll check back periodicly

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

nightstalker <br />First Mate <br />Member # 35976 <br /><br /> posted December 24, 2003 04:17 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I bought a rig with a 1994 Johnson 225. I'm not sure if the VRO system is connected. The gas line and oil line from the oil holding tank both slip into a small square coupling with 4 nipples on it (2 on each side). The oil and gas line each go into the 2 nipples on the left of this connection but only the gas line is attached to one of the nipples on the other side. The nipple where I think the oil line to the engine would connect has a rubber fitting slid over it with a hole at the end. When I squeeze the bulb from the oil tank, oil shoots out of the end of the nipple. The oil tank is one half full. I'm afraid to run it without knowing if the system is working. Can anyone help me?<br />Stalker <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2003 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />rickdb1boat <br />Admiral <br />Member # 9947 <br /><br /> posted December 24, 2003 04:44 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />It is disabled. Pre-mix at 50:1.<br /><br />--------------------<br />Rick<br /><br />Boating is Life: All the Rest is Just Details<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 3735 | From: St. Louis | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />nightstalker <br />First Mate <br />Member # 35976 <br /><br /> posted December 24, 2003 08:00 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Thanks Rick:<br />When the VRO was connected, was there an oil tube going from the nipple with the rubber cap that went to the oil side of the VRO? Can I take out the oil tank even though it's half full, or will the low oil warning horn go off?<br />Stalker <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2003 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />rickdb1boat <br />Admiral <br />Member # 9947 <br /><br /> posted December 25, 2003 08:35 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Yes and Yes. You can remove the oil tank and associated lines. Asuuming the VRO electrical connector is still in place at the VRO, diconnect it or you will low oil alarms going off. It's a rubber looking plug with a spring retainer by the vro on the powerhead. Just remove the spring(if it's still there) and pull it loose. Tape it up with electrical tape. It will not affect the overheat horn in any way! Also, make sure the rubber cap on the nipple has some sort of clamp on it, so it does not come off and let contaminents into the fuel pump side of the pump. A zip tie will do. I'm betting that's why it was left half full in order to stop the low oil alarm from coming on. Apparently, he did not know the proper procedure for disconnecting the VRO. This is what I was told when I asked how to disable my VRO some time ago by a very sharp member:<br /><br />quote:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> I know these engines pretty well and can finish up for you. Find the wiring harness that comes off the back of the VRO. Depending on the age of the pump it may have three or four wires, black, grey, tan and if it's a 4-wire, purple. The wires run to a round black rubber plug about 2" long & 3/4" in diameter. remove the spring-clip from it and un-plug it (it WILL be left disconnected or you will get false alarm signals). Next, find the 2 wires that run from the oil tank to the motor. Find the connectors and unplug them, pull the wires out of the cowl and remove the oil tank from the boat. Remember to premix at 50:1 and you're done.<br /><br />BTW - It's very important to inspect the capped oil fitting periodically. If the cap should fall off, it will allow contaminants to get into the pump and it will gum up and fail. If it ever does fail, there is a "premix conversion kit" for 3-cylinder & larger OMC motors (p/n 438402), that eliminates the oil pump section of the pump and cost about $100 less than a VRO.<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />--------------------<br />Rick<br /><br />Boating is Life: All the Rest is Just Details<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 3735 | From: St. Louis | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />Joe Reeves <br />OMC Guru <br />Member # 6826 <br /><br /> posted December 25, 2003 10:00 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />NightStalker..... NO offense intended but it appears to me that neither you or the dealer you bought the boat/engine from has any working knowledge of the mechanical aspects of the engine.<br /><br />Due to the above, I strongly suggest that you have a mechanic that is experienced in the OMC outboard line inspect the engine. Failure to do so may result in what might appear to you a small oversight, but would actually cause the destruction of the engine. (It happens!)<br /><br />Pertaining to eliminating the automatic fuel/oil mixture setup, the following may be of interest to you.<br /><br />********************<br />(VRO Changeover Judgement Call) <br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.<br /><br />Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.<br /><br />The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.<br /><br />********************<br />(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:<br /><br />1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.<br /><br />2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.<br /><br />3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.<br /><br />That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.<br /><br />--------------------<br />Joe (30+ Years With OMC)<br /><br />ReevesJ32@aol.com

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I never take offense to anyone trying to help me out. It's true, I have no experience with VRO systems. I ran a few lobster boats in CT. but they were straight inboards or outboards prior to oil injection. I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me. The dealer didn't know much of anything, I had to show him how to choke the engine to get it to come to life. All he said to me was that it had a VRO system. What gets me is that I would have blown that power head not knowing that the VRO was disconnected once I used up the pre-mixed gas in the tank (let the buyer beware). I may not have thought of hooking up a pre-mixed tank of gas and watching to see if the oil level in the oil tank dropped. By the way, the engine is an Ocean Runner, not an Ocean Pro (any difference)?<br />Stalker

willxuout2

Seaman

Nightstalker,<br /><br />Yes they are the same engine. Anyway, you should take Joe's advice and take it to a mechanic. However, you should educate yourself on how the motor works...especially the VRO system. I learned the hard way and it cost me $4500. Anyway, the first thing you should do is get a "Factory Service Manual" for your engine model. Not the Solec or Clymers. They cover too broad a range of models. <br /><br />First you should make sure the engine is getting oil at 50:1 whether by the VRO or premix. Second, make sure the carbs are REALLY CLEAN. When were they rebuilt last? I would replace the VRO pump if that pump is the original. Next and this is important....REPLACE the six little fuel lines that feed each of the six carbs with the OMC lines. They will come as a kit and it is CHEAP. The fuel lines on mine were breaking down (original lines) and when I was running 3/4 throttle or more it was restricting the fuel flow to the upper two carbs. The top two spark plugs showed that they were running lean which in turn caused the upper main bearing to fail. <br /><br />Look under the flywheel and if there is any goo dripping from the stator coils it will need to be replaced. Speaking of the flywheel...grab the top of it and try to shake the crankshaft north and south and then east and west...there shouldn't be any play in it. If there is...inspect the bearing housing bolts and make sure they are torqued to the proper specs. There is a little plastic check valve inline on the rubber house the runs from the lower crankcase to the upper crank bearing housing. Check this valve...air should only blow one way through the valve...if it blows both ways then replace the valve before operating the engine. This valve allows the upper crank bearing to be lubricated with unspent oil/fuel.<br /><br />If you don't feel comfortable with checking these things then take it to a QUALIFIED mech/dealer and have them do a THOROUGH check. Make sure you post the results back here as these guys can tell you right away if the mechanic is any good by what he tells you. I wish I had happened upon this board $4500 ago.<br /><br />Would you like me to email you some pics of the item I mentioned? Be happy to do it.<br /><br />Good luck.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Willxuout:<br />My computer skills are as bad as my skills with a VRO. I have two pictures of the gas/oil lines I was tryting to explain but I don't know how to send them via this format. Do I need your E-Mail address to send them to you?<br />Stalker

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Once again, thanks for all of the help. I traced the gas and oil lines to the VRO and the oil lines were disconnected and plugged. I'll figure out if the low oil buzzer was disconnected also. I'll leave the oil tank half full if it hasn't been disconnected (to stop it from going off). I'm going to get rid of that small two inch adapter with the 4 nipples and connect both sides of the gas line with a single adapter.<br />Thanks Again.<br />Stalker