1979 Evinrude 140943R - Wont Idle HELP / Thinking about replacing ignition system

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a good motor I think. Good compression and doesn't look like its ever been hot.

SYMPTOMS: Always had problem idling. Recently had intermittent problem dropping cylinder(s) at higher RPM. On plane all would be fine and then all of a sudden drop RPM like it lost a cylinder. Then would all of a sudden kick back up to normal without moving the throttle. Haven't ran since then and now motor will not stay idling. Fired and ran with throttle arm up but would die. It was 20 degrees out but still something was wrong. My kicker ran fine off same tank so no fuel delivery problems.

PREVIOUS WORK: After many attempts by myself to redo carbs (spark test with gap tester was good at the time). I finally took it to a pro. They said that they readjusted the floats, checked/adjusted timing, link/synch. And that it was good to go. $600 later.

I am thinking about replacing the entire ignition system (4 ignition coils, 2 p packs, stator, timer base/retainer). I don't know if this will solve all problems but this should at least narrow it down and give me confidence that a 35 yr old ignition will not fail while on water.

1. Are these the only ignition components I need? Any other retainers or little things?
2. I want to buy the highest quality parts. What “brand” are those? (direct from evinrude.com?)
3. A local outboard shop told me that I could change out the idle orifice to help with the idle problem. Comments?

If you could comment I would really appreciate this. Getting ready to drop $1000+.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
scott if you plan on troubleshooting some yourself , i would get a factory service manual good luck:joyous:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those ignition components are fairly reliable / do not wear out as some folks think.-----Proper trouble shooting will find the defective part or poor connection in wiring plug in rubber boots.----My self I would never think of the --replace it all procedure.

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am a pretty good mechanic but the ignition troubleshooting is complicated. Its at the shop now and I was interested in some opinions about the replace it all option. Doesn't sound like a great idea I guess.

What about changing idle jet size to fix idle problem?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
These old service manuals use outdated troubleshooting techniques. (they don't use the voltage crank tests as of the year published.) All these components are expensive. It's worth your time to do some ignition troubleshooting before you just replace every ignition component. I'd go to this website and check out their ignition troubleshooting techniques for the stator and timer base: cdielectronics.com. Specifically, look at the cranking voltage output tests: If the stator and timer base check out, you can do a power pack test by checking spark on each head. If you swap the power packs and the spark problem moves heads, you've got at one bad pack. Usually, the four coils are pretty reliable. While one may fail, I'd be looking at every other component first. An inductive timing light is a good diagnostic tool, as the flashes from the gun will show the quality of spark on each plugwire. (weak firing, no fires, intermittents, etc.) Get your ignition problems sorted out before you worry about carb issues.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean by good compression ?---Post the actual numbers .----Have you removed bypass covers to inspect mechanical condition of engine before investing in parts ?????

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Notes say compression is 110, 115, 105, 110.

I have not removed bypass covers. But I could if that is suggested.

All your ideas are helpful. Keep em coming. Thx

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bypass covers have 6 small bolts each and a $2.00 gasket.-----Seems it would be worthwhile to do an inspection before spending hard earned cash on parts you may not need !!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Get a spark tester and test spark on each cylinder, leave those cylinders alone for now i agree with Daselbee

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
The marina just told me that I can't expect this motor to run good in 20 degrees. I've had other outboards that run great in cold weather. What do you think?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nonsense !!!----Please note a similar thread on an 83 model like yours.-----------------Owner has replaced all the electronics and motor still does not appear to have any power.--------Simple trouble shooting is becoming a lost art I suppose.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Run to another shop !------Simple trouble shooting should be done before spending hard earned money !!!