86 Evinrude 15hp Pinion Gear Spring??

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
The pull starter on my outboard keeps getting harder and harder to engage. I used to be able to pull the rope really slow and easy and it would start. Now I have to stand up and pull as hard as I can to get the pinion gear to move up and engage the flywheel. I see the pinion spring in there but can't figure out how it works. The seloc manual is no help on the problem....Any suggestions? Do I grab it with pliers and bend the spring in or out?......Thanks Warren

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 86 Evinrude 15hp Pinion Gear Spring??

Warren, there is a long u shaped piece of wire about the thickness of a coat hanger which slips over a upright piece of metal while the other open end slips onto the bottom of the plastic gear which jumps up and engages the flywheel. They sometimes fall off. You then have to pull real fast to cause the gear to jump up.. A lot of times they are laying in the housing somewhere. Hope this helps. nevjb

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nev, the U shaped wire is still there. Its in one piece and is placed under the starter gear. Do these things wear out? I stared at it for over an hour today while looking at the manual and just can't figure it out.....Anyone??????

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Warren.... That spring, retainer, friction block, whatever one might call it, must be setting in a groove that is built into the bottom portion of that gear. If it's simply setting under the gear, it has no effect.<br /><br />Sort of like a fan belt must be in the groove of the pulley to do any good, simply being in back of the pulley does nothing.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Joe, I'm goin to the garage right now to look for that groove....Warren