removing a "primer" from a johnson 6hp?

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to remove the "primer system" from my 6hp j6rcud Johnson 1987. Do I remove the pull knob first, then unscrew the forward nut, remove the hoses and then will it come off?
I'm not certain. Any ideas?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Why do you want to remove the primer system and how are you going to start it ??

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought the motor used for $225. The previous owner said it would not start so the first thing I do is clean the carb and replace all the rubber hoses. Update:
I unscrewed the forward nut of the primer and it came right off, then I removed the starter and then the carb. Cleaned the carb, reinstalled it.....everything good so far.
Now I need to "REWIND" the starter spring.
[FONT=&quot]The only info I have states to move the pinion gear up to engage the flywheel and hold it with a wrench while rotating the flywheel “counterclockwise”. Is this correct? I tried to rotate it counterclockwise but it only rotated a couple of turns, however, when I tried to rotate the flywheel clockwise it rotated many turns. Did not want to complete this until I’m certain which way to turn it. Any thoughts?[/FONT]

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You always rotate the flywheel clockwise. Other wise you're screwing up the water pump.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Now I need to "REWIND" the starter spring.
[FONT=&quot]The only info I have states to move the pinion gear up to engage the flywheel and hold it with a wrench while rotating the flywheel “counterclockwise”. Is this correct? I tried to rotate it counterclockwise but it only rotated a couple of turns, however, when I tried to rotate the flywheel clockwise it rotated many turns. Did not want to complete this until I’m certain which way to turn it. Any thoughts?[/FONT]

I you are going to do it like this you rotate the flywheel clockwise.
but doing this is it is trying to disengage the pinion all the time.

ITYWF that it is easier to prevent the pinion engaging while turning the spool counterclockwise. If you wind it by turning the pinion with one hand and just helping with the other hand on the spool it will tend to hold the pinion down out of engagement.

The correct amount of prewind IIRC is 12[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] turns of the spool

You will find the instructions in the manual at http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Last edited: