Evinrude 200hp 1995 Ocean Pro engine missing when cold

desperado9

Recruit
My old girl always starts OK, runs down the river for about a kilometre, then either starts missing or the motor totally cuts out. A quick squeeze on the fuel bladder (which never feels soft) and it restarts immediately and we're off again, although usually there is some more missing until the motor is thoroughly warmed up and then the problem disappears completely. There are no alarms. I have changed all plugs and checked/replaced the fuel filter, but no improvement. I have never found any water or other contaminants in the filter. When warm the motor runs perfectly at all throttle settings. Can anyone suggest where I should be looking please?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, it is hard to tell what is wrong. I would suspect an air leak in the fuel line, which seals better, after the rubber hoses have warmed up. However, that is a guess.

clanton

Rear Admiral
I would check the timer sensors, there are 2 sets of 6 sensors. Starts on one set, then runs on the second set after warm up, or a few seconds if the engine is at operation temps.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
How long it take to warm up?
It should be pretty quick unless a thermostats stuck open then you will get a missing type abnormality

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you never had the carbs off you may have something floating around in one or more of them.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Few things, check the carb mounting nuts and bolts, to be sure they're tight, same with carb bowl screws, wipe or spray some WD-40 on the plug wires and see if there is any improvement, sometimes if the plug wires, plugs, coils are weak, any resistance would cause them to fail, sometimes a cold engine is resistance enough. Since your problem is opposite of the usual, please post your solution if you get to the bottom of it. Another thought is to let it warm up longer, and see if there is any improvement. Bill