Power pack replacement choices? OEM ?

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am pretty sure the power pack on my J150sledb 1996 is going bad. The engine randomly cuts off after its warm. It starts right back up and runs normal. I have checked the safety cutoff and the ignition switch but that does not see to make any difference. I have had it run a full day with no issues and then when I take it out a week later it will start acting up. I have checked the fuel system and found no issues there. What I read it sounds like a typical power pack going bad.

So my question is since I seem to have 3 choices. OEM, CDI and Seirra. All with in a few dollars of each other. Is there any difference in which one I choose? I guess you can never go wrong with OEM but before I choose I thought I would ask for advice.

Thanks for any reply's.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had good luck with OEM & CDI, no experience with Sierra. Rumor has it that CDI makes the OEM units. CDI's website has thorough troubleshooting instructions if you don't have a factory service manual. Worth the effort to avoid wasting $100+ if something else is the problem.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks it such a intermittent problem that happens some days and not others. Ugg if Only had something just break down and be obvious repairs would be so much easier! I think I am going with the CDI unit that comes with a new sensor and new spark-plug wires.

Thank you for your advice.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
good advice from kjdunne. I just replaced my powerpack with a CDI version. Haven't run it yet, but in the driveway it sounds great. Do all of CDI's troubleshooting and don't forget to have a good look at your coils. I took mine off to replace the powerpack and the bases were cracked with corrosion on the edges. I suspect this was a big part of my problem. I suggest you find your part on CDI's website then go shopping by doing a search for that part number. You'll be amazed at the wide range of prices for the same parts. My kit was listed for as much as 1000 bucks and as low as $175 (what I paid).

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
that what I had a few years back....my coil went bad and took the powerpack with it....I replaced all 4 coils and a new powerpack(sierra) and all is well

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
As posted earlier CDI/Rapair was suppling the OEM replacements but now heard that is a S.American supplier. I use Serria parts (dealer) and they give a lifetime warranty and pay you to replace it if it fails.....

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You are going to pay a lot of hard-earned $ for this pack. Check out the warranties each company provides. If you ever have another problem during your ownership, it may come in handy.