JW-13 Model 3 Horse Johnson (weedless) Issues

airtract502

Recruit
I pulled an old 3 horse jw13 from storage which had not been used in years, got it started in a 55gallon drum. It seam to be ok so I but it on my 12' aluminum boat and took it to the river. Shortly after launch I began to lose rpm so I shut it down. It appeared to have overheated a bit. How can I tell if the water pump is working during a test run at the shop? What should I look for when I remove the impeller housing? How does the shaft fit back into the gear box? It will not seat all the way down. I did use 24:1 fuel oil mixture.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You just turn the lower unit upside down.-----Then rotate the shaft and it fits back into the pinion.------Are you saying that the shaft stayed in the powerhead ??

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Actually, for the weedless units, I have better luck turning the gear case sideways with the exhaust outlet pointing down. This allows the pinion gear to get back in alignment and the driveshaft can then slide back into it.

When you remove the impeller housing, check it for pitting and excessive wear, as well as the base plate. Be sure to replace the o-ring at the top of the driveshaft and to grease the top splines before reassembly.

airtract502

Recruit
No, the shaft did not stay in the power head. Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure I have identified the exhaust port. How can I tell if the water pump is working once I get it back together and running?

nwcove

Admiral
it will mist water out of the small holes on the front of the midsection.....a bit above where the lower unit bolts on. and of course.....if you spritz some water on the head and it sizzles.....you still have issues.