1983 Evinrude 90HP OMC Fast Idle Lever is loose. How to tighten?

shallow hull

Cadet
I have a 1983 ProCraft 1650V Fish & Ski with an 83 or 84 90hp Evinrude. The problem is with my Fast Idle Lever. It is loose at the control. All cables are secure and functioning properly at the engine. I took the control assembly off the side of the boat and opened it from the back (praying the whole time that some spring, cable, or gear didn't pop out of place). I had never opened one up so it was scary.

Anyway, the Fast Idle Lever looks like it is in the right place and all the attaching pulley and cables and things look OK to me. But, the whole lever and everything attached is real loose and wobbly. When I lift the lever to start the boat, it doesn't feel like it is even engaging the cable until maybe the last half inch to the top.

Is there some kind of thing that needs to be tightened? A screw, bushing, etc? I don't want to start pulling parts off unless I have to. I usually end up with something left over and a headache.

Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your motor. They have a good parts break down of your control.

shallow hull

Cadet
Well, opened it up, put it back together, everything seemed to go back into place. Now, the idle lever is still loose and the main handle will not go forward or back. I can squeeze the handle trigger, but I can't move the lever.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Need to take it apart again. ---Assemble with all the bits in the right place.-----or run to the local shop as they do these all the time.

shallow hull

Cadet
Success!!! Took apart again. Removed lever assembly/cams/etc. and found the innermost retaining screw for the idle lever was loose and back out. Tightened screw, put everything back together. Both levers work as they should now! Didn't even have to run to the store! All I need to do now is clean the grease off my keyboard keys.