1958 Johnson Seahorse 35hp

ohmydog

Seaman Apprentice
Hey folks, New member here. New to owning a boat and motor. I've been scrolling through the iboat forums for several weeks now, but I'm ready to sign up and get a little more personal now. Here's why I've joined. Several weeks ago, I got the opportunity to purchase a really cool 1958 14' fiberglass runabout that looks like it was just pulled from a time capsule. Original everything, including the 35hp seahorse. The guy that was selling had purchased the boat from the original owner's estate sale. I was told the motor was not running, but had run within the previous year several times, and that somehow the flywheel had been "welded" to the crankshaft making it impossible to replace the old faulty coils and ignition parts. So I made an offer that basically discounted any value for the motor and the guy accepted. I figured that I'd just get a new motor and off I'd go zipping around various bodies of water for fun. But when I got the boat and motor to my garage, I just couldn't stand the thought of them being apart and thought I just had to get the Seahorse running again. Mind you, I'm no mechanic and reluctant to start down that road. It does seem like a fun project though.

The motor looked to be in great shape (just like the boat) for the most part, except that someone had beat the flywheel and a few other parts into a mangled mess of a nub while trying to get it off. Everything else seems to be there, right down to the original paint. Here's what I've done so far. I got my dremel tool out and cut through what was left of the flywheel and got it off the shaft. The previous owner had hacked away enough already that most of the ignition parts were gone from the armature plate and had lost those or thrown them out. So I spent a few solid days searching the web and thankfully found this site which led me to many links for parts and info about the motor. I was able to order everything I need. I found a flywheel on Ebay and that guy even sent me a few extra parts, which was nice. I should be getting a new cam for the crankshaft/points tomorrow morning and it will be time to put it together. I've been able to assemble the ignition parts on the armature plate and get most everything lined up, but I do have this question:
The used flywheel that I purchased has some scoring where it meets the crankshaft and is not completely smooth. Should I be concerned about that and having it smoothed out or is some pitting, for lack of a known term, ok? I'll post some pics and I'm sure I'll have way more questions in the near future when it comes to getting her revved up and going. Thanks in advance for any replies.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG adventurer.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
She is a beauty!

My biggest concern would be, what about the crank>? Did you get the rest of the flywheel off? Is it usable?

Before spending money, test compression.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove flywheel key.--------------Then put a little smear of valve grinding compound on the flywheel taper.------Put flywheel on crankshaft and turn it back and forth and around to clean / fit the tapers.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
To add to racer one's thoughts, when done, clean the taper and bore thoroughly. They need to be clean and dry when reassembled. Torque the flywheel nut to 60-65 ft.lbs.

ohmydog

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks folks! Yes, I was able to get the (or what was left of the) flywheel off. The guy had no idea what he was talking about, with the whole flywheel welded to the shaft business. It looks like he just didn't know how to remove the flywheel. Anyways, after I removed the nub and saw that everything else was really clean and in great shape, I got inspired to refurbish it.

Racerone and Chinewalker: I'll definitely try that method to smooth things out. Now I have to get that key out. It's stuck pretty good in there.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
A harmonic balancer puller purchase would have been much easier! lol

You would think they would try to read a manual BEFORE taking the grinder to the flywheel :)

nwcove

Admiral
lol....i have never seen such brutality done to a flywheel!!! am jealous of your purchase tho.....nice rig!!