do the 150 crossflows (1985) have a diff steering setup from v4's?

rothfm

Ensign
Ive got a pair of 1985 150's recently and just beginning to mess with them a bit. I need to swap in a TNT motor to lower one so I can get it onto a stand to run it.

But I noticed each of these has steering Tilt tubes, that are blocked inside, meaning they appear that neither had a steering cable Thru them. Im so use to working on the v4's, I cant imagine it. The BRP diagrams dont show much. I looks like other years in the v-6 have a tilt tube adapter/bracket used for steering. But the year 1985 doesnt.

This is pretty important, Because if I have to disassemble them, its going to be a real bear. Could the boats these motors were on have another type of steering cable mount, then went directly to the motors steering arm, bypassing the tilt tube pass-thru??

Each steering arm has a triangular attachment piece on the end of the arm where it appears a steering linkage went to, like I'm used to..Just not familiar with that triangular part.

rothfm

Ensign
Bit of research:

It looks like some new motors have the option of mounting a bracket to the front of the swivel, to be used for "dual" steering cable setups.

I was hoping that maybe this bracket kit, and second tube could be used to mount my existing steering cable...But on this year that area is round and it doesnt have a place to mount as its sort of open to the tube area.

My newer 1993 115 would be able to mount this bracket it has the Flat and has the holes already.

SO, does anyone know if the existing tube is bad (but strong), is there another way to attach the steering cable to the motor. The Tubes are intact, just bad threads on either end, and sure to be very stuck. Just seeing if there is another method so I can leave it in place. I've taken them out before, hoping not this time.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can still buy dual cable steering parts for your crossflow engine. Check out this T&R marine website: http://www.trmarine.com/cat.html They make the correct cable holder for the second cable on a dual cable steering engine. I run one of these on my 83 Johnson V6-a dual steering cable setup. From the description of what you need, this should work. I think you should reconsider your steering plan, depending on what speed you will be running with your boat. Many boat manufacturers recommended dual steering cables on 150 hp engines and up, esp performance boats. You may want to replace the tilt tube on the engine so that you can run a steering cable thru it, and also add the T&R mechanism for the second (dual) steering cable. It's a safety thing.

rothfm

Ensign
Thanks EMD....Once I can lower the TNT and test on a stand, I will take your advise and get a new tube in there. I actually have a complete Freshwater swivel/brackets/tube and may use that if I can get the 2 Steering arm bolts out. Someone used larger heads on those bolts and I cant get a socket in there. Id sacrafice the whole thing by cutting it off but that wont help much with those 2 bolts.

Would using a single thru-Tube steering setup be sketchy or dangerous? I'm not familiar with what would need to be changed, I guess the entire steering from wheel back.

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You are correct, if you decide to go with a dual cable system, you'd have to get a dual helm gearbox and two racks/cables. That would be a change from the helm to the engine. Deciding to change out the tilt tube is the ideal time to add the T&R (second) steering tube assy. The dual cable system can be adjusted to minimize the normal steering cable slop-so that you have precise/exact steering. This system is gradually falling out of favor with the advent of hydraulic and hydraulic power steering systems-which are usually at least double the cost. These newer systems tend to minimize engine steering torque. If you run your engine on a bass boat over 55 mph, the dual cable steering system would be advised. If your engine is on a work boat or pontoon that runs 25, it's less critical. You also have to have room behind the steering wheel for the added mechanism. In the end, consider the safety of your application and you decide.

rothfm

Ensign
Thank for the advise. Either way I will have a new tube in there eventually. I fish exclusively and around here conditions rarely permit over 25-30mph anyway. Think While its apart I will mount the dual adapter wether or not I go with the full dual setup. At least it will be there when I'm ready.

thanks again, Was so used to the v4's never realized there was this setup.