Throttling back at WOT

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Went to the lake this past Sunday boat ran fine was a little slower than normal coming out of the hole but could get it to come out my question is this as I was running at WOT I could feel the motor kicking back as if the fuel flow was being cut off two all three carbs. I would move the throttle control back just a little bit and it would stop doing this but wide open it would kick down. By the way I have a 1984 evinrude 150 V6 model number E150ANCRS so Im thinking my fuel line was cutting off fuel supply but I'm not sure anybody have a answer it would really be appreciated and my carbs are all clean of debre compression is wonderful no fuel leaks I keep my motor in tip top shape or should I say I try really hard too thanks for any help

Bosunsmate

Admiral
It might be your fuel pump failing at highest demand, you can have someone manually primer the bulb at wot and see if that cures it temporarily
The other thing is to check that your primer bulb holds firm for at least thirty seconds with engine off (that checks for air leaks and faulty float valve)

niceoldgrady

Cadet
check your fuel tank vent to be open and unobstructed...

had this same thing happen years ago with portable tanks and forgot to open vents

if tank built in make sure no spider nests or wasp nests

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Couple of possibilities. If the VRO fuel pump is weak, it may not supply enough fuel to keep the carb bowls full at WOT. To test for this scenario, you can 1. push in on the key switch (the choke) this will provide more fuel. If the engine perks up, it's running lean. 2. Have a buddy constantly prime the fuel hose bulb. This will also add more fuel to the carbs. If it runs fine at WOT-as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb-you may have a fuel problem (weak fuel pump or a fuel restriction in the system. When an engine seems to miss, generally at WOT, it could be the spark plugs may need to be replaced-recall last time they were? Ignition component problems tend occur at any throttle position-not just WOT. Such as-a weak stator may not fire all 6 plugs every rpm-but that's usually throughout all rpm ranges. Are you running any original fuel hoses? Likely they are not ethanol compliant and may be degrading-bits of internal hose can break away and lodge in the jets, causing a restriction. Have a hard look at the fuel issue first.

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Thanks everyone I will throughly look over my fuel system i changed the plugs at the beginning of boat season havent had very many problems with my boat but I was reading on here and I bought the wal-mart fuel primer hose and bulb and was told it was crap and I agree it's only a little over a month old and already starting to fail so I'm going to go with a better one and suggestions on the best one too buy I would really appreciate it and I have to say guys Im new to the forum but y'all have been absolutely so helpful and I want to say thanks for all of your help

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I'd only run a factory Bombardier fuel hose and bulb. Any V6 will need the 3/8" hose size to feed enough fuel to that engine. They are not cheap, thanks to the 2014 governmental fuel regulations, but you won't have problems with them, either.

nwcove

Admiral
I'd only run a factory Bombardier fuel hose and bulb. Any V6 will need the 3/8" hose size to feed enough fuel to that engine. They are not cheap, thanks to the 2014 governmental fuel regulations, but you won't have problems with them, either.

i fully agree.....dont go the cheap route on the fuel hose/primer/connectors.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
This month I removed the fuel line quick disconnect at the lower cowling on my motor. The fuel line now goes right from the tank to the fuel pump with just the primer bulb in between, thought id remove the quick disconnect being a potential failure point. I just used a caulking gun with soft flexible filler to plug the gap around the hose where the quick disconnect was but many other ways could be found to do that more tidily