Need parts to convert '54 Johnson Seahorse 10 to Short Shaft

Pikeslayer

Recruit
I have a 1954 Johnson Seahorse 10 with a long shaft. It measures 23" from the mounting brackets to the cavitation plate and has a 5" removable section just above the cav. plate. I was thinking I could shorten the water tube and the shift linkage myself, so I would only need to purchase the drive shaft.<br /><br />Questions:<br /> Anybody want to trade parts?<br /> Anybody want to sell me a shaft?<br /> Where could I find a shaft?<br /><br />Thanks in advance!!

Pikeslayer

Recruit
Re: Need parts to convert '54 Johnson Seahorse 10 to Short Shaft

I use this motor on a community boat. We keep boats at a camp in Canada and different camp members use the same boat with their own motor. Therefore I'd rather not modify the boat.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Might try here. They say they have shafts available.<br /><br /> web page <br /><br />1-800-463-9001

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can also try posting an ad on the Antique Outboard Motor Club site. They have free webvertise ads.<br /><br /> http://www.aomci.org

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just did that on an 1957 18hp.<br />The water tube just pulls out of a rubber gromet in the upper section. I would cut the 5" off the top as it needs the lower bends to align with pump outlet. Cut the 5" off the shift linkage. You do not need to have the groove all the way around, as the original, just grind a notch with a Dremel tool so if fits the screw location.<br /><br />As for the driveshaft, I cut it midsection, beveled the ends & took it to a welder & had it wire-feed welded with stainless. Turn it down to size, straighten it & you are set.