Evinrude etec lower unit

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought a new to me 2007 evinrude 40 etec. Guy I bought it from said it would start and run perfect shift into gear and it dies. I talked to my friend who's an outboard mechanic by trade. He thinks the pinion bearing came apart and jammed the gears. I looked for a replacement lower unit and am having a hard time finding a good used one. He was telling me that the older carbed 60 and 70 evinrude/johnsons used the same lower unit as my 40 and its a direct bolt in. They look similar and are considerably cheaper. Does anyone know if this is true?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Find out what's wrong in the lower unit before you do anything else.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When the motor is running in nuetral the gears are all turning.-----I do not think the issue is in the gearcase.

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't got the motor put up on my test stand yet to do a full inspection. Just wanting to know if those lower units are interchangeable if it is the lower unit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe the problem is in the lower unit. ----But ask your friend as to what years " older " 60 and 70 hp units he thinks will fit.---They all look the same but maybe they are not the same.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The 3 clyinder lower units will not fit this motor as driveshaft splines and diamenter are different

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok got the motor on my test stand. Damn this has to be the heaviest 40 I've ever encountered. Took 4 guys to get it on there. Motor fired right up no issues with running. Goes into forward and reverse just fine. In nuetral the prop spins like it's in gear. Equal speed as forward. I can stop the prop and there's a fair about of load on it but the motor will continue to run. If I rev it up the prop spins faster.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
With the motor on a stand and running in gear it really is still in nuetral as the prop does not need to do any work.---Time to trouble shoot this motor.