Pressure Fuel Tank - Leaky Connector Alternative

andy7918

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1950's Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 HP with a pressure fuel tank. I have replaced the o-rings on the female fuel connector using the "paper clip" method. They still leak a little bit...

My question is this: Why not just replace both the motor and the tank quick connects with something else that i can buy brand new from the auto parts store? Is there anything more to these connectors than a quick connect? Do they have a check valve inside or something?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you use factory O-rings or some that looked like they were the same thing ??

nwcove

Admiral
quick connects will work just fine, ( tip: have one male connector to carb line and one female connector coming from the engine air line and corresponding male and female connectors on the tank lines, and as always, make sure to let any pressure out of the tank before connecting/disconnecting)

Last edited:

andy7918

Seaman Apprentice
Went to my local napa auto parts store. The only ones they had had a huge barb (like 3/8"). I think my fuel lines are 3/16". I was looking online and i wanted to get the "Honda" outboard style quick connects. They are similar to the type an air hose or pressure washer has. Do you know a brand or fitting that i can use for this application?

andy7918

Seaman Apprentice
And yeah i used the right o-rings, a sierra part no. Don't really want to take the chance on breaking the only one i have by punching out the face from the back with a nail. As it only leaks a little bit.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Buy the OEM o rings. They can be made to seal. This will be cheaper than a whole new quick connect system. Easy Breezy.