'53 Johnson tn28 5hp resto

MiOutboarder

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know what motor parts are interchangeable with the tn28 if there are any? Also does anyone have a parts catalog for the tn28? thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Most "TN" models are similar. Depends on exactly what you are looking for. Also some "TD" models. Chief difference between TD and TN is one has the neutral clutch, other is direct drive, thus totally different lower units.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Also the TN-28 of 1952 / 53 had the OMC Universal points rather than the old guillotine style. In engineering that change they made subtle changes to the flywheel & starter.

Although the displacement, bore & stroke are the same as the later 5½ horse AD motors, they are completely different animals. The TN & predecessors are rotary valve 2-strokes, while the AD is a reed valve 2-stroke. Carburation is different. Pistons, block & mounting are different.

The older TD & TS models had their impeller down in the foot of the casting on the prop shaft. Because of the neutral clutch on the TN they had to move the impeller above the neutral hub on the drive shaft so that it would keep spinning & pumping water while in neutral.

The old TN and TD 5s are great little motors but are ancient, having been out of production for over 60 years. They are actually a restyle of a late 1930s design. Because of that, plus the fact they have bronze bushings for bearings & use leather seals in the carb make these engines a bit challenging to restore compared to the next generation. That, plus low compression courtesy of leaking through the journal / bushing clearance means that despite new piston rings you may still have low compression, courtesy of worn out bearings. There is not a practical way to restore the bushings / journals unless you hard chrome the journals. Usually when the block is worn beyond spec you simply find another block.

When they are running right they can idle down low to barely a tickover.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Worn bearings on the crankshaft and block have nothing to do with compression in the cylinder !

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Worn bearings on the crankshaft and block have nothing to do with compression in the cylinder !
Technically true, but on a rotary valve 2-stroke worn bearings can leak pressure from one adjacent cylinder to the other cylinder in opposite phase. I didn't believe it could affect running but it surely does. Once they get too worn, all the honing & rings in the world will not address the pressure leakage via the journals and bushings.

I had that issue on my worn TN-26. Dad told me it ran funny because of the worn bearings. I scoffed as I too doubted, but when my motor was rebuilt I was told the same thing again by the guy who restored it (Peter McDowell of North York Marine). He found a more suitable block to rebuild (bearings & crank safely within wear limits.) It really makes sense when you consider how the crank pressurizes the intake charge via the underside of the pistons traveling down within the bore, followed by the transfer of that charge via the now exposed port into the cylinder