1988 evinrude 200 xp electrical issue

matt420koop

Cadet
ok so I basically tore down my whole motor and cleaned and replaced all gaskets. has new stator trigger coil and powerpack. carbs cleaned and rebuilt. new throttle cables/ sync and link. even psi on all cylinders. good spark.

now the problem. motor started up and ran the best it ever has. started going at WOT and after a short while motor starts to "surge/pulse" like it starts running on 3 cylinders. throttle back down and take off again to the same thing. keep trying and eventually motor barely stays running. let motor sit for a little bit and try again and same thing happens( runs on all six for a little bit then starts running on 3 after motor warms up.) when its running on 3 I tried to kill motor and it stays running. pulled kill switch and nothing happens. did some digging and found that it could be a diode going to powerpack?? any tips would be great! thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like an ignition problem. Put a timing light on each cylinder when it happens and see if you're losing spark. If you are go to cdielectronics.com for trouble shooting procedures.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Could be a bad pack. Follow boobie's suggestion on troubleshooting. Once your testing leads you to that conclusion, check to see if there is any new factory warranty on it.