1985 Johnson 25hp leg replacement how to?

1roddy

Cadet
So I was pulling up to my dock and head the exhaust get extremely loud. I didn't hit anything but when I looked was amazed that my leg broke in half just above the foot.
I have spare parts including a leg from a similar model and year. I'm wondering how big a job this might be and if anyone can point me to a good how to. Thanks! Rod

Lewis1111

Seaman
Is the new unit a complete or would you be using the two to build one good one? Rebuilding that lower leg will take some special tools and little bit of know how on shimming the gears properly. If the only damage occurred to the skeg and did not damage the prop shaft or any internal gears/bearings. I would recommend having the skeg either rebuild by a welder or putting a skegguard on (http://skeggard.com/).

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Shouldn't be too difficult as all fasteners should be readily accessable. Will probably need to remove the engine from the boat.
Start by removing the lower unit as you would for a water pump repair. Also I'd suggest going to any of the websites that have an expolded view of the parts breakdown so you can actually see where all the mounting points are. Take pictures as you go so you can refer to them when it's time to reassemble.

1roddy

Cadet
The spare leg I have Is complete. I have found a couple good how to's for water pump replacement so the foot shouldn't be a problem. Does the powerhead need to come off as well? Just trying to gauge the amount of work or time required..

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Powerhead has to come off if you are replacing the exhaust housing.

Lewis1111

Seaman
The power head does not need to be removed to just pull the gear-case but racerone is correct that the power head will need to be removed to remove the exhaust tube. If it is determined the exhaust tube needs to be replaced I would make sure one is still available before putting the work into removing the power head.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These motors were produced for many , many years.----Lots of used ones available !!

1roddy

Cadet
Thanks for the replies, anyone know where I can find a .pdf copy of a service manual?