1972 6 hp Fisherman

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has a cracked gear where the rewind starter grabs the flywheel. I was able to tap/ pond the roll pin out and put replacement on but I am concerned about breaking something to pound it back in. Any tricks to this? I thought about running a drill bit through the hole to make it a touch bigger and then taping it in but don't want to ruin it. All manuals etc say to tap it out but seems like it takes too much force. Maybe I should buy the correct roll pin punch? Any advice appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Put something like a block of wood on the backside and hold it while tapping in the pin. Don't drill it out.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok will do thanks again. Boobie. Going to reseal the LU as well with my iboats kit so will probably need more advice.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like that idea even better. Something about taking a hammer to a delicate part of 1972 outboard makes me cringe.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Used a touch of white grease and it went back in easily with tapping. Replaced the points and condensers while I had the flywheel off. It has good spark. Now on to solving the leaky LU. Got the kit from Iboats going to pull it off tomorrow. I am used to working on my 70's 25 hp Rudes this lower unit has a different shift rod attachment and aligns to the powerhead differently so we'll see how it goes. I'll probably be back so stay tuned and thanks for the help all.