1987 Evinrude 110hp Motor Problems - sneezing and dying!

gholman12

Recruit
First off, thanks in advance for your help! My buddy and I just bought the boat, and we're having some trouble with the engine. See video below!

It doesn't always run this rough, and it tends to run smoother at higher RPMs. To get it started sometimes you have to give it a little gas by pulling on the carb lever (which my buddy is doing for the first half of the video to keep it from dying), after which it will usually run somewhat smoothly though it does tend to sneeze every now and then. There is good spark to each of the cylinders, and good compression all around. The guy we bought it from said he just had all the fuel lines replaced and the carbs rebuilt.

My suspicion is a fuel delivery issue, whether it's from bad lines, a bad tank, bad gas, a bad filter, or a bad O-ring on the fuel connector. Any thoughts/feelings/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like Lack of fuel.
Did you scheck the fuel pump.. and diaphragm?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Couple of things to check. 1. The engine sounds like it has a "lean sneeze" for sure. That means the dedicated, tiny idle passages in the carbs may be restricted by dried fuel. When that happens, you'll get a miss every few rpm's. That's a lean fuel issue-not spark. Unfortunately, a complete carb teardown is probably required. You'll need a can of aerosol carb cleaner-the one with the small straw. That's about the only thing which will dissolve dried fuel. 2. If the idle is too low, the engine will struggle to keep running. The idle has to be set when the boat is floating normally in the lake, and is shifted into forward gear. Set the idle to between 650 and 700 rpm's. You can't set it on the trailer. Sitting on the trailer, it will idle at 1100-1200 since there is no backpressure on the exhaust. 3. if you open the carb butterflys while running, fuel will be supplied from other jets (mid and high speed jets.) This is usually enough to smooth the engine out for all rpm's above dead idle and the engine may run just fine. 4. Are you still running the VRO fuel pump on that engine? You can do a test. When it's running, have someone constantly prime the fuel hose bulb. This will force extra fuel into the carbs. If the engine picks up and runs fine as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb, you have a fuel delivery problem, which could be a weak fuel pump.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are all the wires in the correct place ?-----Are the orange / blue stripe wires going to the top coil on both sides ?