76 johnson help

river rat1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 85hp have relly good spark it seems to be fuel I replace all fule and pump to chold it be the rectifier and what does it do any help ty it driving me nuts and it relly hard to start I need starting fluid to start it but it takes all most a full can to start new fule lines to hope someone can help thanks

Last edited:

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
river rat1 to answer one question, the rectifier works in the battery charging circuit, it should not keep it from starting. second everyone has told me to not use starting fluid, because it has no oil in it to lubricate everything. u can put some pre-mix gas in a spray bottle and spray in carbs if you think u have a fuel problem u may need to do a compression check on the cylinders, also check for spark to jump a 7/16 inch gap . should have a snap when it jumps. hope this helps. good luck :)

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
have u rebuilt the carbs? and does the bulb pump up firm

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That engine is a bear to start if the choke is not working. Check it for functionality when you turn the key to on, and push in on the key-the solenoid should close the choke butterflys.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you lift the " throttle only " lever , does the timer base rotate a wee bit ?