78 Evinrude 70Hp flooding out

solidrock7

Recruit
I have a 1978 Evinrude 70 Hp motor on my Bomber bass boat that after I go from one place on the lake to the next the motor floods out after I shut it off. I have even tried pulling the fuel line off letting it run for a little while then shutting it off, yet the same happens. I have to crank ooover & over till it fires then plug fuel line back in. While running it runs great. Tride fuel cleaners, new plugs ( split fires ), fuel ball pumps up and stays hard. What do I do?

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 78 Evinrude 70Hp flooding out

Hmm..do you have to raise the cold start lever?<br /><br />Use the choke?<br /><br />TMD

KillerJello

Seaman

the split fires may be the problem.....<br /><br />Im not too experienced with boat motors yet, but i am a ase certified auto mechanic, and i have heard of tons of car engines that dislike those plugs and flood out with them. I bought some for my camaro SS before, and it gave me alot of trouble... threw the oem ac delco plugs back in and ran like a top...<br /><br />may want to check that out...

ob

Admiral

Engine calls for L77JC4 or QL77JC4 gapped at .030".Some guys still gap theirs at .040" and claim that the 3 cylinder engines idle a bit smoother.Good luck.

solidrock7

Recruit

I had the same problem with auto-lite plugs in motor, thats why I tried the split fire plugs. Yes, I raise my idel arm when trying to start and with choke and with out. I reset the floats in all 3 carbs this weekend and boat ran better than ever on the lake, yet still same problem of flooding out. Only way to start motor even when sitting for awhile is to ( Not pump up ball ) just connect fuel line when there is no fuel in motor. Then she will scream anywhere. Yet when stopped, and there is fuel still in motor it will flood out. ( also resealed bowls on carbs to make sure of no bleed-over to cause flooding.

willbnlkld

Recruit
Im having the same issue with my 85' evinrude 70hp. Did you ever get this resolved and if so how. I rebuilt all 3 carbs. Ran like a rapped ap but after shutting it down to refuel it flooded again. Any help please.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
This post is over 11 years old. Please read the rules at the top of the forum and start a new one !!!!

willbnlkld

Recruit
I have a 85' 70hp evinrude doing the same thing. Did ever get this resolved and how. Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Will, please read the posts following your posts. This topic is over 11 years old. Start a new topic and while your at it, read the stickie about how to get results from your posts. Thanks.