2000 200hp johnson with electrical issues

wayde

Cadet
I have a 200hp Johnson outboard. the motor will not turn over. The motor was left sitting for 2 months and the tilt motor seized up. I tried to tilt the motor up, she only went about an inch then stopped. The tilt motor was seized and I think it caused something to burn out. I tested the old tilt motor and it would not turn, so i replaced it with a new one. Now the engine itself will not turn over, and there is still no power to the tilt motor. I made sure the batteries where fully charged, and I tested to see if there was power to the solenoid, you can turn the motor over by crossing the solenoid. There is no power going to the key, the instrument panel does not light up. Is there a fuse somewhere on the motor that may have burned out? or could it be something else? a wire burned off maybe

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Check the fuse on the motor. It should be around the starter solenoid.

wayde

Cadet
anyone have a pic of where to find the fuse. I spent most of the day looking for it, and I wasn't able to find it

Lewis1111

Seaman
If I remember correctly it is inside a red fuse holder if there is one on that engine. I am sure you would have seen it by now if there is one. You could also have a quick look at the parts catalog for that engine and see if it shows a fuse. I would look at the fuse panel at the dash, could be a blown fuse on the ignition system at the helm. Should have 12V at the red terminal on the back side of the key switch and with the key turned to the start position it should allow that 12V through to the yellow/red wire that activates the starter solenoid.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
It's a rectangular shaped fuse in a little block in the motor wiring harness.

wayde

Cadet
I found the fuse. It was blown, when i installed another it blowed right away. I figure there is a grounded wire some where. any idea's on the best way to track it down.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Buy a box of fuses and turn on one thing at a time. When you find the one that blows the fuse that's the circuit to check out.

wayde

Cadet
I tried the fuses last night. she blew one more then she stopped blowing them. the power trim works now but the key does not. is there any way to tell if it is on the motor, in the key switch or in the wire leading to the key switch?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Get a wiring diagram, volt meter or test light and start running the circuits down.

wayde

Cadet
I found the problem with the key. I had a wire plugged in the wrong slot, the motor is working fine now. still not sure why she blowed the fuse after I changed the power tilt motor. Only thing to do now is to try her in the water and see if everything is ok.