1981- 200hp won't shift

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just changed the water pump and put my lower unit back on and now it won't shift in ANY direction. I thought maybe problem was in the linkage so I took the lower unit back off but the shift rod won't budge. It seems to be stuck in forward and won't budge. Is there something I may have done changing the water pump that caused this???

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The length of the shift rod is critical to proper shifting. It screws and unscrews into the lower unit. If it was adjusted when you had the lower unit down, that will change it's length slightly and could possibly explain some of the shifting problem you experienced after re-assembly. It does not, however, explain why it won't shift with the lower unit taken back off. Are you rotating the drive shaft clockwise (with your right hand), when trying to shift it with your left hand?

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It shifted fine before I took it off. I did take it to a local shop to have them put in the intake screen, but the shift rod moved fine after that too. It only started once I started the motor.. I couldn't tell if it was pumping. I just don't see what in the water pump would cause it not to shift.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
In order to get the intake screen replaced, you have to pull the water pump housing and base plate. The shift rod is forward of that and would not normally be disturbed when doing the impeller housing work. Hard to say just what the problem is. I'd take it back to the shop that did the work. On another tact, the engine and drive shaft are always connected. If the engine ran, then overheated it could have locked up. When the engine locks up, it will seem that the lower unit is also locked up. As a test, remove the lower again and see if the engine spins freely. Then you know it's a lower unit problem.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is definitely a lower unit problem. I have the lower unit off and sitting in a cradle and the shift rod will not move. If I spin the prop the drive shaft will spin as well. The problem seems to be in the shifting mechanism.. I will try and shift while rotating the drive shaft and see if that works.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took it to the shop. it was toast. I dont know what happended but it sure is costly.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????---Are you sure you got your lower unit back ??-----These things are quite robust and do not just fail.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes , the oil was fine. recently changed and good level. Could there possibly be something I did in changing the water pump that caused this ??? It was my first attempt doing a water pump so I'm not sure if I messed up.It seemed pretty easy. I dont want to ruin another lower unit the next time I do a water pump.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Changing a waterpump should have no effect on the shifting.----If shift rod was turned it will have an affect but it should still not do any damage to destroy the unit.

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the shift rod was turned and partialy in forward, could this casue damage at start up?