Can a bad stator damage the timer base???

matthieu

Cadet
Hi there,

So I had a problem with the spark on my bottom cylinder and thought it was coming from the power pack which I changed right away. I was still having issues so I inspected the stator wires and it turned out one of them was completely corroded and just crumbled when I touched it. Still, with the bad cable, the engine would fire on two top cylinders. I had a spare stator from another outboard that I had a tech put in. Now they are calling me saying that I don't have spark on any cylinder but the stator output is OK. They theory is that the timer base got somehow damaged. How could that be? CDI is new, and stator is good.:mad:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Id ask them how the timerbase could somehow of got damaged from your house to their workshop because i dont think it could unless you crashed on the way?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Was the stator that was put on any good ?? Do they have it wired right ??

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
It would really be helpful if you would post the model number of the engine so that we all know what you are working on. Ask them what voltage they read from the old timer base when cranking the engine. If the timer base is the same vintage as the crumbling stator, it may be time for it to be replaced. Possible it was the culprit causing the original problem all along.

Last edited:

matthieu

Cadet
Thanks guys, so model # is Evinrude E70TLEOR. The stator "might" have been bad, but it looked in pristine condition, and was running on the previous motor. Plus the tech said output voltage was OK. In my mind there is no way the stator could damage the truigger, considering the power pack was brand new. They are running a few additional tests tomorrow to figure out which part is failing, but $85/hour I would really like to figure out if they are trying to rip me off. As far as wiring, the connectors are shaped so that you can't make any mistake there. It's possible the timer base is bad, but there was nothing obvious, and like I said, it ran fine before I brought it there , except for the occasional miss in very specific conditions.

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

Bosunsmate

Admiral
$85 an hour
id just turn up and grab it and tell them that they owe me money for busting the timer base as you had it firing on at least two cylinders before they touched it.
I got ripped off by my first boat shop, replaced my fuel pump with a second hand one which failed on my next outing. When i took it back to get fixed he refused and i insisted so he said he would have a look.
I didnt hear nothing for two weeks, when i ran up he got angry and abusive, when i rang back again he said it was seized.
His car lost its oil overnight a few weeks later.
So what im saying is turn up and get it.
All you are doing is checking two parts. They could of done that in their first hour easy as it just mean popping the flywheel

matthieu

Cadet
So turns out the timer base is fried, no output on any cylinder, this is really weird, how can that happen??? I'm not sure what to do with them now, should I just take it to another tech? What if they change the trigger then say the brand new power pack is fried?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
So turns out the timer base is fried, no output on any cylinder, this is really weird, how can that happen??? I'm not sure what to do with them now, should I just take it to another tech? What if they change the trigger then say the brand new power pack is fried?

This is why i learnt to do it all myself and never go to a boat shop again. Its a pricey lesson but has saved me thousands since.
The problem is they will probably insist on buying a new timer base and break something else if you say second hands fine.
I wouldnt take it to another tech you will most likely get more of the same, just say you arent happy and dont pay any more than two hours labour as testing etc for this takes 5mins and removing the parts 20mins so dont get told its a lengthy testing process