1996 130 hp mid-range lean-out

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1996 130 hp 90 degree V4 looper. It acts like it's running out of fuel when I try to run at 3600 - 3900 rpm. Below or above that range it runs fine, up to 6000 WOT. Opening it up from idle, it runs fine thru the mid range all the way to 6000, no shudder or power loss at all. It's only when I try to run at the mid range rpms it acts like it's starving. An Evinrude dealer tells me it's due to the intermediate air bleed orifaces (.030) and it is characteristic of those engines. Changing the air bleed size will only cause the problem at a different rpm range. Is this true? If not, what should I look for to cure it?

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is new to me motor, but I think the previous owner had the problem before. He cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and had the dealer sync and adjust the idle on them. The PO had the dealer go over the motor prior to me buying it, and when I talked to the dealer after a test run, that's when he gave me the story about it being a common problem.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Look at the carbs to see if they have the pull over tube at the 6 o'clock postion at carb throat and let us know.....

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not at the boat now, will check and get back later. I don't know what I'm looking for, can you describe it? I have the carb parts diagram from the shopevinrude site and don't see a tube.

Last edited:

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
At the 6 o'clock position, (just below the throat), there is a brass tube into the carb body, 1/8 in. ID.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here's a pic of the carbs..

Attachments

• photo210941.jpg
    photo210941.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any comments as to the intermediate air bleeds being a problem with these engines, as the dealer said?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Any comments as to the intermediate air bleeds being a problem with these engines, as the dealer said?

If you can post a video of it running.
What you are describing sounds like something bad enough that it wouldnt get past the testing stage at omc or whoever they were in 1996, so i doubt it is just a characteristic.
No outboard ive had ever has a starving range

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure when or if I'll be able to do a video.... just wondering if anybody else has / had a similar issue and what corrects it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There have been issues with crankshaft sealing rings on looper motors.--------------Wear and broken ones.----Have seen these issues.----Loss of crankcase compressiion is the result.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can loss of crankcase compression cause trouble only at a narrow rpm range? My trouble is basically at 3600 - 3900 rpm and only if I ease into that rpm range and try to hold there. On a hole shot it will accelerate from idle to WOT smooth and strong with no hesitation thru the mid-range rpm. I'm also trying to find out if there is a characteristic performance issue related to the intermediate air bleeds as the dealer said, or is that BS on his part. Engine is model # E130TXAD

Last edited:

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm resurrecting this thread as I am still having this problem. Things I've done: cleaned and rebuilt all carbs with BRP repair kits. Cleaned throttle bodies, verified all passages into and out of calibration pockets are clean. Set idle mixture to basic setting of 3 1/2 turns out per factory manual. Rebuilt fuel pump side of VRO pump. Replaced fuel filter and water seperator filter. Vacuum tested fuel lines to verify no air leaks. Link and sync performed per manual. Set timing using Joe Reeves method. New spark plugs, verified good 7/16 spark, all cyls. Compression is 140, 145, 140, 140 cold. Fuel is fresh. The engine starts easy and idles OK. It will run well up to about 3400 rpm. When I try to throttle up slowly from there, it shudders, shakes, and misses badly, doesn't stall. Moving the throttle up more it clears out and runs fine above 4000 up to WOT 5600 rpm. It will cruise all day at 4200 - 4400 rpm, nice and smooth, but if I try to back it down below 4000 the shuddering and shaking starts down to below 3400, then it clears up again down to idle speed. The throttle plates are just open about 5 - 10 degrees from closed when this starts. Fuel is being drawn up from the high speed jets. At cruise, the throttle plates are open about 1/3 of the way. I'm stumped as to why this is at such a narrow rpm range and welcome all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can this be a lean sneeze condition from the intermediate circuit in the carbs? Any thoughts?