25hp evinrude bogging down

bkboy86

Cadet
My evinrude will bog down and die while moving unless you pull the primer a few times to shoot fuel into the carb. It doesn't idle very well either. Sometimes it'll run fine and most of the time it bogs and dies unless the primer gets pulled then it will pick back up and go for a short time then do it again. I've switched tanks, rebuilt the carb and fuel pump both and it still does it. Please help!!

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the carb is still dirty. Did you soak it overnight before rebuilding?

bkboy86

Cadet
Yes I did. This thing is driving me crazy. How does the fuel pump get its pumping action? I noticed bubbles coming out where the lower unit bolts together. I've heard crankcase pressure is what makes the fuel pump work. Would those bubbles be causing me to get air in the system?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Do you mean pull the primer or squeeze the bulb to make it go better for a bit?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Ok then its the carb.
You need to blow compressed air or carb cleaner down every tiny hole in there and watch it come out another hole somewhere.
One of those holes is blocked, soaking often doesnt fix a blockage

bkboy86

Cadet
I did blow air through it. Tore it completely down and soaked for 2 days. I noticed when it bogs down that you can't see any fuel spraying up through that brass tube in the intake part of the carb. Would any of this problem I'm having be from sucking air and losing prime?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
yep but if your float bowls emopty i dont know why your primer wouldnt be then too

bkboy86

Cadet
So should I tear the carb back down and clean it again? I did order a new high speed jet just to see if that would help. I've also been told that if those primers go bad they'll cause this issue also. Thoughts?

bkboy86

Cadet
I did that. Still didn't help anything. I'm at a loss here with this thing. Just seems to me that it's starving for fuel from sucking air.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Since its sporadic it wont be a carb gasket.
Id spray carb cleaner down the holes. You can do that without removing the carb.
And check your fuel lines back to tank fittings for air leaks

AlTn

Commander
if you want to check the primer culpability just pinch off the fuel line from the primer to the intake manifold. Unless there's a split in the hose close to the nipple so air is being sucked into the intake, pinching off the hose should take the primer system out of the picture.

bkboy86

Cadet
I pinched off the lines and it still does it. I'm leaning toward maybe an incorrect float height.

AlTn

Commander
a sticking needle valve or erratic fuel pump can also be considered....post back when you solve this

bkboy86

Cadet
Problem finally solved. I replaced the primer assembly and the fuel lines that went to it. Runs like a dream.