New to Johnson / Evinrude, need some info

jmulz824

Seaman
Hi guys, I'm familiar with boats and motors and such but new to the whole johnson thing. Just picked me up a boat, (winter project). 17ft boat with a 85hp johnson motor

model# 85ESL-69L
Serial# J3030240

I'm assuming the motor is a 1969, it turns over is all I know. I'm sure I can it running with some work this winter.

Is there anything special I need to know about this motor. I started reading the sticky so I know about the wiring diagrams.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can see how it goes together at the factory parts diagram website: epc.brp.com. Get an original factory manuals at: outboardbooks.com

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Usually suggested to do a compression test to get an idea of the basic condition.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The ignition system is a collection of expensive parts , with 2 sets of points under the flywheel.------------The shift system is electric hydraulic and a very simple, and good reliable unit.-Trouble is most shops will not work on them anymore.------Find a factory manual and learn to work on it yourself.

jmulz824

Seaman
I have no problem working on it, in fact I enjoy the troubleshooting and feeling of achievement of bringing something old to life. I finally was able to get the motor mounted on the boat, (took a bit to find a trailer for the boat). A little background prior ....This is my second outboard first being a 69 chrysler 55hp. My current boat is a 96 maxum with 4.3 merc, but the wife says it's "too nice" for me to fish out of so me and buddy bought this project to do some fishing.

I routed the wiring harness from the control to the motor to see what may be needed. This being a V4 with dual carbs I'm assuming when I rebuild the carbs I need 2 kits.

Sierra Kit 18-7046 should be correct?
I'm not sure what fuel pump kit I need or if I need one

It appears a few other things are missing

Clip/Retainer for throttle cable...
Mount for the steering control to the body ... Any suggestions?

Pics will be sent later, need to resize, files are too big

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bx_lLVgN-GFjZnFMSHJpNllzZWs&usp=sharing

Last edited: