Evinrude 6hp; water intake?

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got a evinrude 6hp 70's vintage that I started with the muffs on. Problem is I can't find a tell tale and when I looked at the lower unit by the prop there is a square hole w/ screen covering it above and behind the prop. I put the muffs over the 4 holes on the side of the lower unit above the prop. Did I screw up and not get water in the right place? Did I damage my impeller? I'm not sure if I should use this or check the impeller first? Any advice would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 6hp; water intake?

That square hole with the screen is the water intake. This is where the muff should be placed. How long has the motor been sitting without being run? If it's been awhile, you should replace the impeller to be sure of proper water flow. The engine has no telltale hose. The water exits through the exhaust ports on the back of the motor.

bubbakat

Captain

ctak do as rick suggest and you will have one of the smoothest running little sixes there is. I have one that is a 1971 and I wouldn't take for it it is so dependable.

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If the square hole with the screen is the water intake then its pretty ackward to put the muffs on it because it's on the front facing forward of the exhaust leg (sticking downward) above the prop. It's wouldn't hold the muffs very well. Also what's the square plate w/ the 4 holes in it on the side of the lower unit for? Thats where I put the muffs. It's about the same place as where I put the muffs for my 15hp, but the 15 has the holes all the way through to both sides.<br /><br />Thanks,