1985 Evinrude 6 hp fuel pump.

Hi there.Long time reader,first time post.I have an 85 Evinrude 6 hp that just died out one day.figured it was fuel related but not knowing where to start i went for the easy to get to stuff.fuel tank,lines,fuel pump.The fuel filter has a wire screen on top and had captured some gel looking substance that I suspected was the culprit.Being of strong back and weak mind ,i decided the fuel pump should be disassembled for cleaning,how hard can it be,right?well,anyone with more than 3 brain cells would have looked it up online first to see what was involved beforehand,but I wasn't of my own mind that day.springs,diaphragms,gaskets,little plastic parts,you name it.All the parts went everywhere. I then decided to look up what I got myself into on this,and other,forums (and Leeroy's ramblings) decided to clean the carb while i was at it(reading a diagram and numbered instructions first this time) and found more of this white gunk in the passageways.
So,I purchased a fuel pump from ebay seller (NIB Johnson Evinrude 6-10-15 HP Fuel Pump 397839 9-35350 Outboard) but this one looks different than the one that came off.
My question is1)will it work on the 6 hp? it was labeled for pre 1990's 2) what is the white gel that seemed to clog the fuel system in the first place? second Photo is what original pump looked like.first one is the new one.it seems thicker than the original.Thanks for any help.

0395091.jpg m3GSru_B16GDtSH8CqcZQrg.jpg

Attachments

• 0395091.jpg
    0395091.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0395091.jpg
    0395091.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As far as I know those pumps were all the same as far as thicness is concerned.---------There is a difference in how they are oriented depending on the motor they are installed on.

Rick.

Captain
I've seen many posts from others who have purchased new pumps and need longer machine screws to mount them so I'm not surprised your is thicker. I've never seen a post from anyone saying the thicker ones don't perform well. You may need to buy longer hoses as I would not recommend pulling the pump apart to re-align the inlet and outlet fittings although it is possible to do that. Best of luck. Rick.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
My guess would be some water/sludge from the tank.
Even with gasoline, water that gets into the ta=nk and sits on the bottom can foster some mold, slime, sludge.; not as bad as diesel, but I've seen it often.
Check your tank for water.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

if you chosse to reorrient the pump parts read this 3-4 times and try it.

it is a confusing little pump ( which is why you MUST read and understand the intructions) .....but you can do it.... I did

To assemble the pump diaphragms, springs and small mushrooms caps I put a small drop of crazy glue to stick the springs on their mounting nipples and then glue the mushroom caps on the springs. This keep everything in place while you align the diaphragms and pump body bolts .

when done.... the final test is is to blow air (lips) from inlet to the oulet ports and NO air should pass from outlet to the inlet port

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the same,replaced fuel pump.Just like yours,the inlet/outlet weren't identical,the feed(bigger port)will turn in all different directions.Oh yeah,,I did have to get 2 longer mounting screws.You should be fine.