1968 johnson 6 hp slow

letitroll707

Cadet
My 1968 johnson 6 hp is running slow average speed around 5 mph. Rebuilt carburetor new cables coils points condensors spark plugs rebuilt fuel pump good compression dont know what im missing to get this motor running faster like it should. Please help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Do a cylinder drop test on it to see if it's running on both cylinders.

letitroll707

Cadet
the prop is in good condition , all the orifices on the carb have been cleaned and blown out with air, and it's on a 14 ft aluminum boat. Both cylinders had good compression how do I do a compression drop test?

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Basically with engine running , pull off 1 spark plug lead with insulated pliers etc and listen to the engine.
If it stops then it was running on that cylinder alone....if it misfires and sounds lumpy then it was running on two cylinders.
Try it on both plug leads to be sure

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect one plug wire at a time and see if it will run.
Or loosen the wires at the plug and with it running pull one wire at a time with insulated pliers.
Link n sync. Be sure that as the throttle advances it opens the carb at the correct point.

letitroll707

Cadet
Is there a chance the fuel pump is not pumping enough gas for it to hit high speed but enough to run low speed?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Try the drop test before messing with fuel pump.

If you do suspect the pump, easiest way to confirm is to squeeze the primer bulb while running and see if it picks up - effectively making you the fuel pump.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fuel pump function is easy to test.---Just operate the primer / manual fuel pump on the hose at full throttle.-----Any history on the motor ?---Any chance that mice have built a home in the exhaust housing and chohing the motor.-----Does spark jump at least a 1/4 gap or more ?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Is this a new (to you) motor?
If so, depending on the load in the boat and trim, you may be getting all you can from that combination.
It's only a 6 hp. on a 14 footer.

If this motor has previously performed much better for you, check compression.

letitroll707

Cadet
Its an old motor that we were given dont know any of the history on it we found this motor should get up to 15 to 20 mph but we can only get 5

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is only running on the top cylinder.----Check for spark as suggested earlier and check reed valves for the bottom cylinder.

nwcove

Admiral
Its an old motor that we were given dont know any of the history on it we found this motor should get up to 15 to 20 mph but we can only get 5

15-20mph with a 6hp? ..... not gunna happen unless you are heading down a river thats running at 10mph

letitroll707

Cadet
I was told by my brother that it should be that fast I always thought smaller hp like a 6 would just troll. There are 2 of us in the boat when we take it and we use it in the bay.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I was told by my brother that it should be that fast.

Maybe you should get him to fix it. :)

If you are getting 5 MPH with 2 adults in a 14' boat, that's not bad.
If you want ~ 20 MPH, you'll need to upgrade your HP to at least 15.

You should still make sure whether you have a problem or not.
Try the drop test at a high idle.... sometimes if you do the test with a motor that DOES have both cylinders firing OK, if the speed is a tad too slow, it can cut out on one, but not the other.
Test the spark with a proper spark tester.

Sandor27

Seaman
Does the motor sound like it is hitting full rpms at WOT? What pitch is your prop? Can it possibly have the sailboat 5" pitch prop on it? That would get you about 5mph. For comparison, I had a 1236 Jon boat and a 6hp that would get me and a buddy up to 8mph (not on plane) and me alone if balanced right about 12mph (just on plane) but no more.