1947-1951 Sportwin 3.3HP Evinrude

dglardon

Recruit
I recently inherited an Evinrude Sportwin model 4423. I got it out on a lake and it had little power. I was told the carb needed cleaning. I tore it down as far as I could get it. (I did not remove the soft cover in back of the mixture screw area since I cannot find parts) Now, the bottom end of the float bowl has been a continual problem for me, Leaks fuel. Any suggestions on where to find parts, or how to ge tthis to seal would be great. Also, what would be good starting point settings for mixture screw would be appreciated.

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1947-1951 Sportwin 3.3HP Evinrude

The float needle value is what you want to get to seal is what your talking about. I don't have a manual so I say that I giving advice without a manual. The bowl where the float is need to be clean and the gas going into the carburetor needs to be clean and the carburetor need to be clean. If it’s not clean then it could cause the needle value not to seal and cause a leak. Now the <br />mixture screw I would check to see what it at before you adjust and write down then you know what it is at <br />before you changed it and have a way of putting back at he same place. After you done that try a 1/4 turn in and out each way to see which one make it run better each time check idle and full open throttle with each ¼ turn when both speeds run good you found your adjustment you need. <br /><br />********************<br />This is just advice only I will not liable for anything because I’m only give advice to help.

dglardon

Recruit

thanks for the repsonse madecool,<br />As an old shadetree mechanic on auto's I should have known to measure the mixture setting before I disassembled, however I did not. The old car standby was 2-1/4 turns out form seated to start with, then adjust, just wondering if this is a good starting point on this motor. <br />My problem on the float bowl is the original pieces are a bit bugered up. The filter looks like it had three legs once, now only two. It was tied onto the plastic bottom piece with thin copper wire. The bottom piece looks a bit out of shape, but the seal ring looks ok. I have put different thicknesses of paper gasket material in without ever getting it to seal properly.<br /><br />Right now, I am looking for the fuel line and compression nuts from the tank to the carb. One of the original nuts cracked when I tightened it. Oh the joy of older equipment.

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Being that this is a old motor. Your guess of trying 2 1/2 would be as good as my guess of starting at 1 1/4 turns out that's what I always try on 2 cycle small engines . Well good luck with getting this engine running good. I know it will be a lot of work to do work for a small motor.