Correct throttle rod adjustment on 1979 Evinrude 55 hp

Fesiwig

Recruit
I tuning up a 1979 Evinrude 55 Hp and need to check the throttle rod adjustment to make sure it's correct. However, I don't know the correct length and can't find it in any manual I've consulted. Would appreciate it if someone could tell me the correct length. thanks, Mitch

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I have 2 OEM 50hp Johnson manuals sitting here on my desk yet I still am not clear as to what you are asking. Which "throttle rod"?

Fesiwig

Recruit
Good morning,
Appreciate the replies. The maximum rod length looks like about 6 1/2 inches on this engine. The throttle cables attach to a large lever which in turn connects to the timing mechanism. This main lever also has the stop for the idle adjustment screw. It also actuates the throttle cam lever via the throttle rod which is adjustable. The roller on the throttle plate shaft rides against this cam lever. It looks like the throttle rod length is key to all of the other adjustments and must be right before anything else can be adjusted properly. Right now even when I adjust the idle screw all the way in, the cam lever is still not hitting the roller on the throttle shaft. I did see that someone with a 70HP had set the throttle rod length to 4 31/32". Can't find any definitive info on setting this length for my '79 55 HP. I've got the Seloc manual and it does not have anything on this.
thanks, Mitch

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sorry, found the rod in the 1975 manual but not a measurement. If you want to shoot a picture and post it I will compare with my 1975 50hp and 1983 60hp to see if they are close to the same. The 1987 50hp VRO is different.

Fesiwig

Recruit
Actually, I think I figured it out. Both the throttle rod adjustment and the adjustment on the throttle shaft cam have to be made in tandem to get the geometry right. It's a trial and error type of thing but fortunately doesn't take all that long. Thanks for the replies.
Mitch

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Actually, I think I figured it out. Both the throttle rod adjustment and the adjustment on the throttle shaft cam have to be made in tandem to get the geometry right. It's a trial and error type of thing but fortunately doesn't take all that long. Thanks for the replies.
Mitch
Yes thats what i do, just make sure that the timing base goes back against the stop properly otherwise you can get preignition.
Mine gets stuck after a while with gunk. I stupidly painted the motor without using etching primer so bits of paint blow off it a lot. Luckily due to the air intake design it doesnt seem to be getting sucked through the engine much.

You should also consider relocating the telltale to the top of the block as where the current outlet is its too low and airpockets form and overheat the engine especially at idle, well thats what i found on mine

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Seems as that is kind of what I was reading in that manual so you should be on the right track.