Shopping for a mid 90's 20-25 hp Evinrude

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am wondering if they are the family. I am concerned about weight and understand a 20hp is about 115 lbs. Is a 25hp the same. It will be a tiller long shaft no electric start.

Jim

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That engine block was marketed as 20 / 25 / 30 HP.-----Marketed for some 25 years too, so parts are easy to find.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Yes, the 20 and 25 2-cylinder models are in the same family of motors, based upon the 31.8 cubic inch block.

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you gentleman. All I have to do now is find one preferably a 25hp. Around here the shops tell me they are all scooped up by the Native fisherman for their skiffs.

The manual I recent got says 5500 rpm is the top rpm for them but the governor is set at 6000. How high can one be run and still live. My 15 turns 7000. Can the electronic governor be disabled? I hate leaving anything stock (-:

Jim

Bellingham,WA

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Spinning it higher won't gain you anything. Keep it within the max range and it'll live a good long time...

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found one! A very clean 1991 30 hp electric start tiller model.
In the process of installing it on my 14' Crestliner now. Operating range is up to 5800 RPM with the governor set at 6100 so it should be a fair bit faster than my 15.

The other day I was searching this Forum and came across a very detailed process to decarb with Sea Foam. Now I can't find it. Any help finding it would be appreciated.

Jim

Last edited:

jasper60103

Commander
Found one! A very clean 1991 30 hp electric start tiller model.
In the process of installing it on my 14' Crestliner now. Operating range is up to 5800 RPM with the governor set at 6100 so it should be a fair bit faster than my 15.

The other day I was searching this Forum and came across a very detailed process to decarb with Sea Foam. Now I can't find it. Any help finding it would be appreciated.

Jim

Congrats on the new motor. I have an '88 30 hp and have been very pleased with it.

You may have seen Top Secrets File on the decarb procedure...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin.../404690-decarb

Good luck.

Last edited:

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Jasper. That is the one. My only concern is the method of burning the 1 gallon of mixed fuel with nearly a full can of Sea Foam. Should it be run on the water at full throttle with that mix or some other procedure. I don't want to mess up this nice engine.

jasper60103

Commander
Thanks Jasper. That is the one. My only concern is the method of burning the 1 gallon of mixed fuel with nearly a full can of Sea Foam. Should it be run on the water at full throttle with that mix or some other procedure. I don't want to mess up this nice engine.

I've never done a decarb treatment, but I have used sea foam in moderation as a fuel stabilizer.
What problem are you trying to solve?

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not trying to solve a problem. I just purchased this motor and have no real history of how it has been treated and it is a 1991 model. It seems from what I read that a Sea Foam treatment would be a good preventive measure to start out with a internally clean ring free engine. The ounce of prevention idea (-:

I plan on using Opti-2 oil at 100-1 just like I did with my 15 and every other two stroke engine I have had for the last 30 years.

Jim

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Run that motor on 50:1 mix only.---Running at 100:1 is a joke and only invites trouble with pistons and rings !!!

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Racerone everyone has there own way of doing things. I had my doubts 30 years ago when Opti-2 came out. It is a local company. They made a deal with a local big equipment rental yard to use there oil at 100-1 in every one of their two stroke powered pieces of rental equipment. In 30 years they have not had ONE lubrication caused engine failure. Now the local outboard dealer has a similar synthetic outboard oil in bulk. I buy it by the gallon. I use it in all my two strokes. Zero failures. This works for me. I make no recommendations for others just saying what I do.

I had my 1992 Evinrude 15 proped for 7000 rpm and ran it there a lot. Just swapped it out for a 1991 Evinrude 30 that I will prop for 5800 and use 100-1. The 15 still runs as good as the day I bought it.

Jim

Last edited: