What year is my Evinrude Sportster outboard?

Pikeslammer

Cadet
I have 2 questions I hope someone may be able to help me with. The first is what year is and what is the horsepower of my Evinrude ELTO Sportster. The model number from the tag is 4364 01516. It is silver (painted) It only moves forward, no reverse. No built in rewind. It has a self contained gas tank. I saw 1938 stamped on the tag with a list of patent numbers, and it is an ELTO, but I would like to be sure. The decals are about wore away, so I have no way of knowing the HP. And my final Question is, is there a website I can go to, enter the model number and get the year. I have and continue to get many different motors, alot of them older and mainly omc, evinrude, and would like to find a place to get this info. Thank you for your time,<br />Alex

ob

Admiral
Re: What year is my Evinrude Sportster outboard?

Model # 4364 is a 1941 2 hp engine.here's a couple of links. <br /><br />web page<br />Click on modellguide in the upper right hand page. <br /><br />web page Johnson/Evinrude only.<br />Click on model search in upper right corner and enter model number.

Pikeslammer

Cadet

Thanks for the info. One more question if I may may, Is there a website that gives estimates for the value of older outboards. Similar to NADA or Kelly Blue Book, only for older outboards. Thank you for sharing your kowledge. <br />Best Wishes,<br />Alex

ob

Admiral

Don't know of any values set in stone considering the varying conditions of outboards ,but here's a link to the antique outboard motor club that may be of some help. <br />web page

Pikeslammer

Cadet

Thanks again. I will be back with more questions later on as I have a few more motors I need to ID, a firestone, a montgomery ward or two, a sears and so on. Have a good one,<br />Alex

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I can tell you from personal experience, old OB collectors are a frugal lot (read cheap!). I have an Elto "Sportsman" and a "Pal" I'm trying to sell, both in good shape and haven't had a serious offer for either.