1987 140hp Johnson V4 lost power to starter and trim/tilt

Bon Chovie

Recruit
Need some help. Just got done changing a fuel-water separator and was starting it up to reprime, would not fire up right away but starter was engaging and seemed fine. Turn the key for a 3rd attempt and sudden loss of power seemed like the starter went out. I have power on all my electronics but noticed the trim/tilt doesn't engage. Tried 3 other batteries that were charged fully to make sure this was not battery problem. Any advice on where to check first, guessing not the starter because I lost power to both starter and trim/tilt....fuse somewhere?

Thanks Man..

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Theres a little fuse in the engine compartment just by the red plug, check that first

Bon Chovie

Recruit
OK Thanks for your help. I checked the fuse and it was fine. Tried to start the boat this morning and engine and trim both had power, no changes made since power problem. Glad it works but worried it will happen again. Gonna check all the connections and wires..to make sure no weak connection.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Thats happened to me before so i take a little wire out on the boat with me. I couldnt work out why it happened on mine either, so there are two points on the solenoid that if you short will jump start the starter.
Also have a look at your trim and tilt, there will be a manual release valve on it so if the trim and tilt gets stuck down you can undo the valve and lift the motor up to get it back on the trailer and home.
Careful dont undo the wrong screw