1968 Sportfour 65853B viewing tomorrow, probable purchase.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class
What 'cha got to say about it? Got to change it to short shaft. Looks like the spark gets made under the flywheel. Showing a 9 amp stator plate under the generator, seen an exploded view. So there must not be a belt drive generator. Yet I see an amplifier...hummmmmm. New to me. Don't know if it's a heavy duty gear case or not. Won't know that till tomorrow. Points ignition yes! My old Aqua Meter tech should work fine with this. Miss Peachtree is capable of wringing out the mighty Ski-Twin with the adjustable pitch prop set at 13. Top end 29. Hoping a four cylinder cross fire will approach the 16 pitch limit of my prop? Also I want the old timer idle quality of putt-putting. Let's hear it!!! Scallywags.....ha..... Steady as she goes.... Steering to Liz's Lounge at the Riviera Resort.: http://youtu.be/sgBtlfqaQGo

racerone

Supreme Mariner
2 sets of points under the flywheel.-----Certainly there will NOT be a belt driven generator !

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class
The ski twin has two sets of points, just like the selectric shift 40's, which are equipped with a generator.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, I have 40 + years of experience and this V-4 is a totally different motor and has a flywheel alternator !

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Settle down old boy racerone...... I had stated that there is a 9 amp stator under the generator. Which is a four syllable droid type-o for flywheel. Along this line I'm thinking I want to find all about that amplifier thingie......

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class
A mild mannered steer around Houghton Lake. I am ready for more vintage horsepower.....

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I was going to explain the difference in the charging system....since you keep referring to a "generator" you may be on the wrong track....and the ignition system is kind of a hybrid which you seem to be confused about....and you need to be really careful with them because replacement parts are really spendy...but based on your dismissal of Racerone, you obviously know it all....so I won't bother.
Good luck. :)....

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was going to explain the difference in the charging system....since you keep referring to a "generator" you may be on the wrong track....and the ignition system is kind of a hybrid which you seem to be confused about....and you need to be really careful with them because replacement parts are really spendy...but based on your dismissal of Racerone, you obviously know it all....so I won't bother.
Good luck. :)....

Steady as she goes.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, a pop up dashboard and visible cable steering. Did you see the round platforms for the key and such? That's different. I suspect that owner has too much time on his hands. The saltwater I boat on would reduce all that work to mounds of white aluminum powder, rotted wood and green copper.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class
The probable purchase turned into a reality. A sweet surprise to see the long shaft outboard switched over to short shaft. Then two days ago I noticed a 60 pony big Johnson on c list just down the road. I gave the guy 21 clams for it, he just wanted it out of there. It turned out well worth it. The guy he got it from said it would not go in reverse. The shift rod had come out of the connector and a part of the shift linkage was broken. The gear case is great, and seems to be recently serviced, and has a good skeg, along with a water pump that is flexable like new. I will strip the crud and green off and assemble a shortie of alloy color with no paint on it for the 68.

Thinking of boxing up the complete magneto get up for who knows what? A sale or trade? I will be going to the M.S.D. ignition upgrade, how cool will this be! I will have to steer around without the hood on.... haha..... I've already got the picture in my mind of the spark plug wire screw in things I am going to make. Yellow new wires will be and look sweet.

It will be time to back burner this Sportfour modification for a little while, while I am wrapping it up on the mighty Dodgeasaurous. It will be cool this new boating season.

Browsed through the service manual a bit. Figured out I do not want anything to do with the stock aftermarket ignition that is available. The whole bit is quite easy to understand. Miss Peachtree has more than enough wiring for this installation. It will be quite manageable to incorporate.

Steady as she goes......

http://youtu.be/goxEgz-zeqk

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class
The '67 big Johnson lower stuff all done, shined up, and installed on the mighty Sportfour.

Time to clean up, organize, and change gears back to the Dodgeasaurous.

Back burner contemplation will be the installation of the new points that will be here soon. Along with that 14 amp stator, what do ya call that thing under that heavy wheel with gear teeth...... 'oh yea, an alternator..... haha..... I knew that..... I do know everything.... haha..... That will be nice, get that battery charging almost right up off idle.... Decent.....

Those 6A M.S.D. units are going for some coin used even. They really hold some value. I just may save up and buy new. Ether way it'll be multi-sparkin'.....

http://youtu.be/R0TVQaj6vII

Steady as she goes.....:first: