1968 Johnson 65hp fuel path

cerealdiet

Recruit
Just bought boat with this old motor (VXL-14B). Previous owner had run a tube from a fitting on bottom of block back to the fuel tank. Like a fuel recirculation system. Indeed, the fuel does return to the tank through this hose. I doubt it's supposed to, though. He has also cut and plugged a hose stub running from a similar fitting on same side of engine block that possibly originally ran to the fitting now plumbed back to the tank(?).

My questions: What does the fuel run look like for this engine? Should there be hoses that connect all these fittings in the block? I assume there should be a single fuel line running only FROM tank TO fuel pump.

Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
To me it sounds like the previous owner knew what he was doing.---He modified the overboard drain system to recover fuel and prevent polution while saving $$$

cerealdiet

Recruit
I don't think it's a drain; there is a steady stream of fuel pouring through this hose. Now I'm wondering if these hoses that are connected to the block are part of a vacuum/pressure system to run the fuel pump? I'll continue to research as I wait for replies on this forum.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Please read post #2 again.------Perhaps the diaphragm in the fuel pump is ruptured----------Perhaps ask your question again on the ---aomci-----website, to get responses from folks who are versed in older motors.

Last edited: