Evinrude rectifier/regulator

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Checked mine tonight on muffs couldn't make it to the water but it shows its charging my battery stator test shows all is good tach working correctly but I went too the lake this past weekend and fish finder was showing 15 to as high as 17 volts I put a volt meter on battery and its normal the reading was 12.8 volts. My question is after I've troubleshot all I can think off and reading my manual doing all test by the book it still points to all is well,I just need to know any thing I might have missed any help is appreciated. By the way I have a Evinrude 150 V6 model number E150ANCRS 1984 year

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Looks like you have the standard 10 amp stator-the basic charging system for a base 150. The factory parts list shows two regulators. Yours would be the 10 amp version. Normally, that would mean that it will regulate charging to a max of maybe 13.5 +- volts. So your charging volt readings are high-from what is expected/normal. Have you visually check to see if your regulator is water-cooled and sits atop/in the block under the flywheel? There is another remote possibility. If the engine has a rectifier (the 83 models used a rectifier and a separate regulator) that could explain the high unregulated charging numbers-if the regulator was not functioning. Many of the older and small hp engines run a rectifier only and normally see charging voltage up in the 16 1/2 +- volts range. Other than being unusual, it should not be a problem.

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Yes mine is sits a top under fly wheel it's water cooled and I have excellent water flow coming from pee hole I checked it again last night and it's charging I put a bolt meter on battery before I started motor and it was 12.8 volts as motor ran at idle and at 1000 rpms it went up to 13.3 then back to 12.9 back and forth and the rpm gauge never acted erratic stayed right were its suppose too

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
My other question would be if all is working do I really need to worry about the sudden change in voltage and after checking everything and troubleshooting I come up with nothing. Just want to make sure all is good and I don't fry my electronics on my motor

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Have you used a different volt meter to verify what the fish-finder is saying?

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Yes Tim I bought a volt ohms dc amps combined meter brand new and checked everything and ohms volts are all good the fish finder is old some in just wondering if it may be misreading

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Tim I actually checked volts on battery with my volt meter while fish finder was going too and it was 12.9 on volt meter 12.8 on fish finder sorry I didn't mention that I just remembered doing that

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
And I also forgot to mention the change in volts was done at wot at 4500 rpms when I come off wot to slow about 1200 rpms the voltage reading was normal

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
What was the charge volt reading using the voltmeter instead of the fish-finder?
Check with one of ye olde wood-burning, steam powered analogue meters..... I have had some wonky readings using a digital meter under dynamic conditions.

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
It was reading 13.9 is as high as it got at wot so I'm baffled as to why I got that high of a reading on my fish finder

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You may want to check all the battery cable connections on both the battery and the motor for being good, clean and tight.

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Did that lastnight boobie all is tight hooked up correctly and clean of corrosion I made sure of that

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
my 2 cents

if you are not having any other issues, your sounder's internal voltage sampler circuitry may be finicky (sensitive) and picking up harmeless voltage peaks . Harmless to everything except... your sounder which could trigger auto-shut off on itself .
That is what my older Humminbird Wide Paramount would do with my Merc Classic voltage peaks

My solution was to wire 3 Radio Shack 7812 voltage regulators (about $2 each) in parallel ( 1 amp capacity each) to get a 3 amp regulated supply to my sounder I mounted the assembly under the dashboard on a small aluminum plate for cooling and never had anymore problems with voltage peaks . Those RS chips will put out a **** flat 12volts with input peaks above 30 volts .

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Great idea, but even easier would be to just turn off the finder while you are cruising to a new spot....

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Being my first time on here I really appreciate yalls input it's been very helpful and thank you very much. Hopefully I don't have anymore issues everything else on my boat is sound thus far.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
tim ....turning of the sounder while moving around is a sure bet to find new rock piles on my lakes !!!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Oh...OK.
Didn't realise they were depth finders as well.
Are they effective at cruising speed for rock alerts?