Should I allow warmup time for 70hp Evinrude after off for couple hours

Trudy Rude

Recruit
I idle through no wake zone for half mile or so then run out to fishing hole or ride up n down river with no problems. Paw n I stop in the fishing hole and hang out for couple hours. Ready to head back to launch, cranks up no problem, push into throttle to head home n it bogs down. Idle for a little while right in the "bog/no bog" zone of throttle until it comes out of bog and performs as it should. Temperature outside is 70ish.

Before I leave the house in the morning for the launch we crank and warm the motor on muffs. Then there is the 10-20 minutes of idle time before it can be opened up in the river.

First time this happened I:
replaced all three spark plugs
replaced fuel tank, fuel lines (outside and in), bulb, added fuel/water separator
cleaned and rebuilt carbs
link and sync

Went out this weekend and it happened again. DANG.

Should I crank it and let it warm after sitting still for a couple hours before shooting back to the launch? Does this sound like an issue that could be solved by simply allowing the motor to run for a little while before throttling up?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Have you checked your compression? Just another clue in the puzzle.

And Welcome aboard, TR.

Trudy Rude

Recruit
Thanks for the welcome. I have not checked the head temps or compression. A buddy gave me a manual to look at and said to consider the fuel pump is acting up. I will get the tool to check compression. I will also test the t-stat.

GA_Boater

You can buy an inexpensive compression gauge at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Or rent one for free at AutoZone or one of the other auto parts stores.

Trudy Rude

Recruit
The water outlet "pisser" (not sure if that is acceptable lingo) pumps warm water sometimes after warm up and cool water at other times. I would guess this means the t-stat is opening and closing as it should.?.?. This has been observed while in the yard on the hose and not underway. The year is 1982. It seems to warm up relatively quickly.

When on the way home I have not given it time to warm up again. I have pulled anchor, cranked motor and began my homeward journey.

By the way this boat and motor is a new to me set up. Have been out only a couple times. My dad and I are pleased with it and the time we have spent together wrenching on it.

I have to get it to be reliable before I will risk taking the wife and son out.

GA_Boater

You might want to consider changing the impeller. I didn't see it in the list of things you did already. Impellers can cause some strange heating problems and most of us recommend changing them every other year. It may not have a thing with your problem, but you say you want reliability and impellers fit right in as reliability items.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Mines a 1982 1960. I always start the motor before pulling anchor and by the time i have it up the engine should be warm enough to start trolling forward before shortly after going on to the plane and wot.
Idle is when the motor runs hottest as once you start increasing rpm the poppet valve opens and floods the engine with a lot more water.
What fuel oil mix are you running at? Too rich can cause a bog after a lot of idling

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Try leaving the cover off when you get to the fishing hole.
Also check the fuel pump outlet flow.
Un hook the line at the carb and use a can to catch fuel as you crank the motor.
Should be strong steady pulses.

Trudy Rude

Recruit
I checked the spark plugs and each are similar coffee brown. Tested continuity on the plug wires. Have not changed impeller yet but will do that this fall/winter. Also ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit since it was around 12 bucks. I am running 50:1 evinrude 2 stroke oil with what my local gas station says is 100% pure gasoline. (cannot say for sure if what I am paying extra for is pure or not) I am hoping that with a freshly rebuilt fuel pump and idling before leaning into her on the way home will clear up my bogging problem. I will know more this weekend. Rebuild kit should be here by then and I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for taking time to help me.

You sure the timer base is advancing smoothly as you increase throttle? I assume you'd have looked at that as you did the link n sync, but just in case....

Trudy Rude

Recruit
Took the fuel pump off and rebuilt with a $12 kit. (kit was a gift from a friend) Pressure tested fuel system and vacuum. Took out Saturday and Sunday mornings. I could tell instantly the difference. I could not wait to get out of the wake zone. I goosed it just a lil bit to see if she wanted to act up. Smooth as silk. I then patiently waited till we got into the river. The motor was more responsive and smooth than I've felt it before. Best two days on the water ever. Love the fall weather too. Thanks guys for all of your suggestions.

GA_Boater

All's well that ends well. Thanks for the update, so few do come back with the result. Have fun, TR.