Tilt/Trim seal leaking... how hard to replace?

djdurrett

Recruit
New to the forum... anyway, I have a seal leaking on the top of one of my lift pistons. How hard is that to replace? I have an evinrude dealer tell me it would be $168 labor plus $25-30 for parts. My mechanic told me it is easy to do and I should do it myself. Any advice her guys?

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tilt/Trim seal leaking... how hard to replace?

post your engine model year and horsepower, need to know if its a fastrac or what then we can tell ya how easy it is

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

It sounds like a bargain to me.I have an 84 115hp Leaking from the same place and I cant get anyone here on long Island to do it.Everyone recommends to get an entire rebuilt unit for 4-500$. I will keep an eye on this post. charlie

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

dbk duck....<br /><br />The cylinders are not hard to rebuild or change o-rings and seals in....if you have done them before. I suggest that if you do try, get a OEM service manual for your engine. It will give you step by step instructions on the rebuild. The hardest part will be getting the head of the cylinder unscrewed if you don't have a spanner wrench.

djdurrett

Recruit

okay, advice taken... I just ordered the manual. The problem is that I am getting ready to spend a week fishing on Grand Lake and time is running out for me to decide if I am going to do it or have it done. The manual wont be here for a few days. Surely someone can give a step by step. I need to find a spanner wrench a seal and have someone tell me how to bleed the system. or fork out some cash...