1996 johnson 112spl loss of power

saltydog1

Seaman Apprentice
Can someone please help, Motor was running fine and then started having trouble when I was last on the water it would run fine but miss here and there.
but now it has lost power and will not stay idleing in the water, I have cleaned carbs, replaced fuel pump, tried new gas on portable tank, replaced plug wires, new power pack, new coils, new spark plugs, checked compression and is a little low but is within spec on all 4, 78-77-78-80 is my results tested like manual said these were my numbers last season and boat ran fine did good all through this summer. While running on muffs in yard idles fine but when I pull the plug wires from 2 top cylinders does not make a difference, when I pull the 2 bottoms it will shut motor down. I have good blue spark to all four cylinders but when I pulled the 2 top cylinder spark plugs they are wet and not been firing. Can someone please help I am stumped... ready to throw away and get me another motor.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You may still have an ignition problem. The power pack and coils are only part of the ignition system. The stator or timer base could be faulty and cause that plug misfiring that you describe. You can find some solid ignition troubleshooting info at this website: cdielectronics.com. They have descriptions on testing both of these components. These components are not cheap, so a little troubleshooting is worth your time spent.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What are the compression numbers today ?---Last years results do not mean a thing here.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you have some problems in the upper carb. Check it again.

saltydog1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the responses, took it to the water for a test, failed and discouraged, came home and thought let me check just to make sure carbs are good loosened the drain screw to top carb and no fuel, took carb off and cleanded again changed needle valve, went back to river to try again and so happy shes running beautiful again. Ready for fishing again. Thanks guys for your inputs I was ready to part motor out and upgrade, but will run it to the end.